Friday, May 17, 2019

Friday Kate Hill is visiting and talking about Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #Writing #Romance

 !. What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I think life experiences sometimes affect my writing and sometimes my writing prompts experiences that affect my life.  Here's what I mean. Years back, I visited Morocco during a vacation and it influenced the setting of a book I wrote. Later, I wrote a book in which one of the main characters was a belly dancer. I took lessons for research and I still like to belly dance today. I'm not good at it, but I still enjoy it. In the first case, the vacation influenced my writing and in the other case, my writing guided me toward a form of exercise I probably wouldn't have tried without a specific need.

2.  Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.  

I'd say I'm general because I like to write many different subgenres of romance, but I also enjoy writing horror and fantasy at times. I don't like to place limits on my writing. 

3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres? 

Definitely. I've always loved romance novels, but I sometimes had trouble relating to the characters, in particular the heroines. Way back in the day, romance novels also didn't have much action or paranormal/horror elements like they do today, so I started writing stories that I'd like to read and couldn't generally find.

4. What's your latest release? 

My latest release is a dark fantasy romance called Demon's Grotto. It includes three stories set in the same building. The stories are self-contained, but they're also part of an overall plot. Here's a short blurb about the book.

Ben wants Laura to reconsider staying overnight at Demon’s Grotto, and he has information about the club’s history that should convince her. He tells her three creepy love stories, hoping she will change her mind.

Rise of the Creature: When a mad doctor brings a dead man back to life, only his beautiful assistant can make that life worth living.

The Demon Within: A man on the run stops to rest at a rooming house, not knowing that it’s the hunting ground of a gorgeous succubus bent on devouring handsome guests.

Don’t Cry, Wolf: An ad for a maintenance man at a bed and breakfast is answered by a former soldier who’s harboring a hairy secret. The business’s lovely co-owner becomes involved with this sullen hunk who’s more than she imagined possible.

After hearing these stories of love and murder, will Laura decide to spend the night at Demon’s Grotto?

Demon's Grotto was released by Changeling Press on March 15th.



5. What are you working on now? 

Right now I'm working on a series of books about former military buddies and how they meet the women of their dreams. I'm also nearly finished with a historical romance, the sequel to my novel, Captain's Mercy.

6. Where can we find you? 

You can find me online at https://www.kate-hill.com. I'm also active on twitter at https://www.twitter.com/katehillromance and https://www.twitter.com/compbeastsblog. The former is attached to my Compelling Beasts Blog (https://www.compellingbeastsblog) that focuses on antagonists, antiheroes, and paranormal creatures. 

No comments: