Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday's Guest featuring Dee S. Knight #MFRWauthor #romance #Who She Was Before


1.      What were you in your life before you became a writer?     I didn't start writing until I was in my fifties, so I had the opportunity to work at a lot of different things. I was an over-the-road trucker for 8 years, an acquisitions librarian for a year, a teacher for 13 years, a technical writer for 4 years, and a technical editor for 5 years. There were other things tucked in there before I started calling myself a writer (like gift wrapper for a Christmas season!). I guess trucking influenced me the most, mainly because of all those lonely miles I had available to put together stories! Needless to say, I've also been associated with lots of different people from various walks of life, and I have shamelessly used them as fodder for my characters.
2.     
Are you genre specific?
     With the exception of one book I wrote under another pen name, my books have all been erotic romance. I didn't set off to write erotic romance—and I didn't tell anyone that I was writing it until well into my second year of being published. I wrote a book, sent it to a publisher of erotic romance. The publisher said that she liked my writing style but that the book didn't have enough sex in it. She said if I ever wrote and erotic romance to please let her have a look. I thought, "How hard can it be to write sex?" I wrote a different book, added (what I though was) lots of sex and sent it back the next month, and she published it. So I've just staying in the genre. It's what I love to write as well as read.
3.  

    Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of genre?
     Not really except insofar as I read romance and write romance. I didn't really know there was an erotic romance segment of romance—I never read it. I only got into erotic romance as a kind of challenge to myself. I do love romance books, however, and read all the subgenre, from historical to futuristic.
4.    
  What's your latest release?
     Last March Black Velvet Seductions released a book of three novellas called Naval Maneuvers. It features naval personnel and their discovery of life and love, in uniform and out. They have scheduled my next book, Only a Good Man Will Do, for this fall. It's the first in the Good Man series.      The series focuses on naturally identical triplets, Daniel, Jonah, and Mark Goodman. I hope readers like the boys as much as I do!
5.    
  What are you working on now?
     Book 2 of the Good Man series, where intermittently employed Jonah Goodman is a mechanic attracted again to the girl he loved in high school.
6.   
   Where can we find you?
     I have teamed up with other writers on Nomad Authors (
https://nomadauthors.com). There readers will find me, sweet sister Anne Krist, ménage romance writer Jenna Stewart, historical writers, Amber Carlton and Jan Selbourne, and Francis Drake, who writes above and beyond romance. I can be reached at dsknight@deesknight.com


No comments: