Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday Birdie Song is Visiting and talking about Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #Waitress #Sweet romance


1. What were you before you became an author? Did this influence your choices as a writer?

I’ve worked in a few different jobs. My first job ever was as a waitress with a friend at her dad’s restaurant. We were paid peanuts, but we were about as capable as monkeys. I’ve also worked as a gardener, web designer, office admin, marketing person, IT support person. I was a professional blogger for a little while too. There have also been heaps of jobs I’ve never done, but always wanted to try.

As an author, these jobs and my personal career curiosities influence the characters in Somerville Downs, a collection of sweet standalone contemporary romances featuring 20-somethings falling in love (or opening up to the possibility of love).

2. Are you genre specific or general? I don’t mean major genres but subdivisions or romance, mystery or paranormal.

Gosh, I love a good story in general. I’d try any genre, to be honest. But right now, I’m focusing on sweet romance with a contemporary Australian setting.

3. What is your latest release?

“The Guy From The Flower Shop” is my first release, which only just came out last month as a free gift for my newsletter subscribers. It’s a first date short story about a girl named Su-Li who’s still getting over her last boyfriend, when her cousin sets her up with Chris, a guy works at the upmarket florist in the Downs.

Previous to this date, the types of guys Su-Li usually goes for have a history of being bad for her, but she still can’t help herself. But upon meeting Chris, she gets a glimpse of what things could be like if she stepped outside her comfort zone. I wanted to explore this kind of internal conflict in the context of a first date. I’m really happy with how it turned out, and hope readers like it too!

4. What are you working on now?

A few things! I’m first drafting a novella, “The Guy From The Wedding”, on Wattpad, updating as I go. Readers can follow along for free for a limited time.

I’m also writing another short story, “The Guy From The Library”, which explores a meet-cute and how it develops into a first date.

And finally, I’m editing another novella, “The Guy From The Internet”, which I hope to release sometime in the next few months.

5. Does your reading choices influence your choice of a writing career?

That’s a great question—I’m not really sure! I don’t write in nearly as many genres as I read, but I do find I’m more creative when I read more. Maybe it’s more accurate to say that reading in general influences my ability to write, which makes it easier to write as a career!

6. Where can we find you?

I’m most active on my Facebook page and in my monthly newsletter, but you can also find my website at http://birdiesong.weebly.com.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having me on your blog, Janet!