Friday, August 28, 2020

Friday Hannah Rowan is Visiting and Talking About Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #Paranormal romance


1. What were you before you became an author? Did this influence your choices as a writer?

I had so many jobs growing up, from shoveling snow and washing cars as a kid, to my first job as a clerk in a hospital in high school, to my first “real” job in recreation at a state mental hospital. I worked while attending school to get a degree in psychology at a real mish-mosh of jobs, alternating full and part time jobs with full or part time classes.  I got my master’s degree in psychology around the same time my daughter was born and looked for something I could do that would allow me to be with her most of the time.  I became a certified hypnotherapist, but a crying baby wasn’t conducive to helping people relax when I had a home office. A job as a reporter more or less fell into my lap, and I could do most of my work on my own schedule.  Since it was a weekly paper I only had to be sure to turn in my stories by Friday morning every week.  Some of the stories I covered for the newspaper gave me ideas for fiction.

2. Are you genre specific or general? I don’t mean major genres but subdivisions or romance, mystery or paranormal.

I write contemporary romance.  I write paranormal romance and romantic comedy.  I really didn’t intend to write comedy, but just as when I wrote a humor column for my newspaper, people read my efforts to be serious and think I’m joking. I used to write true confession stories as well.  I’ve completed a women’s fiction novel that has yet to be published.

3. What is your latest release?

After a long hiatus I’m pleased to be included in Last Chance Beach” Summer’s End, a romance box set put together by 14 authors from the Romance Gems, a group that grew out of former Kensington Precious Gems authors who remained in touch after the line closed several years ago.

4. What are you working on now?

I have my rights back to a previously published Precious Gem novel they called Man Wanted, but which I always called Just a Gigolo.  It’s set in a fictional town called Rose City, New Jersey, and I have two more Rose City books for a series I call Rose City Chronicles.  I’m working on learning how to format e-books, getting covers, etc., so I can self-publish the series. Next I intend to revive a previously published paranormal romance set in the fictional town of Black River, New Jersey, and the accompanying two paranormal romances will make up the paranormal Black River series.  I’m plotting a three book romantic comedy series with the heroine from my story, Can’t Buy Me Love, from the Last Chance Beach box set, as a secondary character.

5. Does your reading choices influence your choice of a writing career?

I’ve always been an avid reader and I read a wide variety of books. I love contemporary romance of all kinds, sweet to steamy, paranormal, heart-rending, comedy, whatever. I also love romantic suspense and just plain suspense, thrillers and mysteries.  I read historicals by certain authors who I know will write a satisfying story, even though historicals aren’t my favorite. And though I love reading suspense my brain just doesn’t work in a way that would let me write it.

6. Where can we find you?

Right now I’m between websites and working on a new one, which will be HannahRowan.com. In the meantime you can find me blogging on the 9th of every month on the Romance Gems blog. I’m on Facebook.  Or my Amazon Author Page.


3 comments:

Joan Reeves said...

Enjoyed your intervieew, Hannah. Can't wait to read the Rose City Chronicles.

kathleen Lawless said...

Nice to get to know you better, through this interview.

Hannah Rowan said...

Thank you for including me on your blog, Janet! You posed some interesting questions.