Friday, August 21, 2020

Friday Ashlyn Mathews is Visiting and Talking about Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #Writer Nurse


What Were You Before

Day 1
1.       What were you before you became an author? Did this influence your choices as a writer?
Before I became an author, I dabbled in a lot of different jobs before getting into a career I love. I worked for the Department of Ecology picking up trash along the highways. That was my first job, a summer job. I also was a telemarketer for a insurance company, a lawn service company, and a funeral home. One of my more interesting jobs was that of a bank teller. When it comes to money, people can be very grouchy. All of my jobs prepared me for what I am currently, a registered nurse. I’ve been a nurse for twenty-two years. My main specialty was emergency room nursing. After I had my twin boys, the hubby and I realized we needed a better work-life balance. Working evenings and nights, every other weekend, and twelve hour shifts was tough. So, I transitioned to a position that isn’t focused on patient care but I am still able to use my “clinical brain.” Now, I help physicians with their documentation. I am currently the department lead.

All of the above didn’t influence my choice to become a writer. I became a writer because I wanted to write stories I wanted to read. I didn’t think I would be publishing them or become a romance author, but I enjoy the creative side of bringing a story to life on paper (word doc) as well as the administrative tasks such as looking over images for covers, formatting my eBook and print books and uploading them to the various vendor sites. Needing to also use my “clinical brain” in my day job, I don’t think writing will be a full time pursuit for me. Also, I have four boys to help put through college 😊.

2.       Are you genre specific or general? I don’t mean major genres but subdivisions or romance, mystery or paranormal.
I started off writing paranormal romance but realize I love writing contemporary romance. My love of contemporary romance then led to the more specific new adult, college romance, especially sports romance. And that in turn has led to my latest book release, a “mature” high school romance. I like writing about younger protagonists. There is so much to explore in regards to first love, insecurities, the uncertainty of the timing of falling in love, family dynamics, going off to college, etc.

3.       What is your latest release?
My latest book release is Beautiful Defiance. It’s a bully high school romance with an emphasis on romance rather than the bullying.

4.       What are you working on now?
I am currently working on a sports college romance that focuses on second chances and what happens when meeting your ex again, they are drastically different than when you first fell in love with them?

5.       Does your reading choices influence your choice of a writing career?
It does. In the beginning, I wrote paranormal romance because that’s what I was primarily reading. Now, I tend to read the genres and subgenres I write in. Readers have a certain expectation for each subgenre and I want to meet my readers’ expectations while also giving them something new. So, give them what they want but put a twist to it.

6. Where can we find you? You can find me at these places. Also, if a reader subscribes to my newsletter, they get my book, Scars to Your Beautiful, FREE.
 Website:  https://www.ashlynmathews.com/
Twitter:                https://twitter.com/ashlynmathews
Instagram:          https://www.instagram.com/ashlynmathewsauthor/
Facebook:                           https://www.facebook.com/ashlynmathewsauthor/


No comments: