Friday, July 5, 2013

Friday's How She Does It featuring Catherine LaClaire


We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?  
 
.
 1. How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
I frequently have an initial scene in mind and I work to populate it. 
 

2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?
      Occasionally I will sketch out events that must happen at the end, but mostly, I let the characters  
      have their way.  There are some things I know: the characters will do some emotional stretching, and 
      love and justice will prevail.      
 
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?

    I know the beginning and the end; they're bookends and arrive almost the same time.     Specifics  occur during the process of writing.
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?   Regarding settings:  I enjoy writing about small towns but am open to adventure and  getting an education about foreign locales also works for me.  I do not have a set library regarding homes or countries.
 
5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?

I prefer books.  I like to mark them and make notes in the margins.  Documentaries and interviews are also helpful.
 
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?

I revise as I go along.  I'll write several pages and re-read them checking for content, flow and just plain making sure the characters still ring true to themselves.  It's the only way I know to keep continuity. 


1 comment:

Melissa Keir said...

I reread too. I sometimes get stuck with the edits that I forget to add to the story!