Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Wednesday Murder and Bitter Tea #MFRWHooks #BWLAuthor #Mystery #Undercover nurse #Nursing Home

Murder and Bitter Tea (Mrs. Miller Mysteries Book 4)

Join the authors at #MFRWHooks here  http://mfrwbookhooks.blogspot.com  For some great excerpts. In her latest adventure, Katherine goes undercover in a nursing home to find the killer

Katherine’s newest tenant is estranged from her family and is the granddaughter of one of Katherine’s friends. When her friend falls and fractures her hip, the elderly woman is taken to Hudson House nursing home, an exclusive house.

Katherine’s friend becomes concerned about several recent and unexpected deaths. When she dies Katherine’s curiosity and suspicions send her undercover as a nurse. Soon she’s deeply involved.

Can she learn who is behind the scheme to end the lives of wealthy patients without becoming a victim?

2019 Book Hooks



EXCERPT:

After a quick wash-up, I brewed a pot of mint tea.  Robespierre began his greeting dance. Before I had a chance to see who had arrived, the cat slipped through his door. When I saw him on the landing with my young friend Robby, I called a greeting.

     “Mrs. Miller, can I visit?” Robby asked. “I need to ask you something really important.”
     “Over milk and cookies?”
     He nodded. “Mom said I can have three.”
     “How does peanut butter with chocolate chips sound?” His grin provided my answer.
     “Oh, yes.” He bent and scratched Robespierre’s head. The large cat rumbled like the sound of distant thunder.
     Once the ritual greeting ended, three cookies and a glass of milk waited on the table. Robby pulled a stool to the sink and washed his hands. “See. I ‘membered.”
     “So you did.” While he ate the first cookie, I filled a mug and sat across the table from him. “Do you want to tell me what’s bothering you?”
     He propped his elbows on the table. “How can a boy be happy his grandma died? If I had one, I would be sad.”
     I sipped the tea. “That’s a hard question. Want to tell me how you learned the boy was happy about her death?”
     He leaned forward. “He’s in my class. Always saying bad things ‘bout her. Said she was rich and mean ‘cause she wouldn’t buy him all the toys he wanted.”
     “Sounds like he’s greedy.”
     Robby’s head bobbed. “He sure is. Always saying how his things are better than mine ‘cause they cost more.”
    “So why was he happy she died?”
     “’Cause his mom and dad don’t fight with his grandma ‘bout her money. They got it all.”
     I cradled the mug. “Is he happy now?”
     “Guess so. He says so but he’s still mean.” Robby reached for a second cookie. “He got a new bike and lots of video games. He’s gonna live in a big new house. They can ‘ford a new one ‘cause no more money goes to that place.”
     “What place?”
     “You know, the one on the river where old people go. Our class went there once to sing. They liked us.”
     “Hudson House?”
     “Yep.”
     The private nursing home is where the rich of the area go to recover from surgery or to spend their final years. The boy’s grandmother must have had the means to pay for the luxurious service.      I patted Robby’s hand. “I’m not sure I have answers for your questions. I’m not sure there are any.”
     He looked up. “If I had a grandma, she would be just like you.”
   “Thank you.” I patted his hand. “Tell you what. Why don’t I become your adopted grandma?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think she's giving this lad exactly what he needs -- a grandmother.

Tena Stetler said...

Nice. A Grandmother, just what he needs. Thanks for sharing!

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

How sweet to be his adopted grandmother. I love your book covers.

Holly Bargo said...

Aww, how sweet!