Friday, February 7, 2020

Friday Diane Bator is visiting and talking about Heroes, Heroines and Villains #MFRWAuthor #BWLAuthor #Mysteries


 1. Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms? Does your reading choices reflect your writing choices? Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?
I seem drawn to writing mysteries for the most part. Whether it is adult or young adult novels, I’m intrigued by puzzles and finding answers just as my protagonists are.
I enjoy reading a variety of genres and find it interesting to discover new-to-me authors, which is why I also started my own blog Escape with a Writer Sundays.
As far as genres are concerned, I try to keep an open mind, but I don’t think I’d be comfortable writing erotica or the like. I prefer to write things I wouldn’t be embarrassed to have my kids, or my mom read.

2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write? Does one of these come easy and why?
I have an easier time writing Heroes and Heroines than Villains. I think that’s because I have this inherent notion that most people are good deep down. Even the Villains. That being said, I have one recurring character in my Gilda Wright series, Gary del Garda, who walks a thin line. He’s a Villain in many ways, but also on the heroic side when need be.

3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?
I think my heroes are everyday people who see a wrong and want to fix things. Sometimes they can be inspired by pictures as well as real life. For example, images of a weary firefighter combined with chatting with someone I met helped me create the hero in a book I’m working on.
Generally, my heroes come before the plot, although sometimes they do tend to take over the story. This was the case with Kane Garrick in my Gilda Wright Mysteries. While he didn’t start out as the hero, he rapidly took over the role.

4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?
Part of me goes into every Heroine. My fears, my insecurities, my wants. Sometimes the plot will come first. I have to think about what kind of woman would face that kind of situation and what she might do. Most of the time, she evolves from a place of weakness (physical, mental, or spiritual) to overcome her fears and help make the world – or at least her hometown - a better place.

5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?
This takes me back to Gary del Garda from my Gilda Wright Mysteries. He’s a mobster and all round bad guy with one weak spot. Gilda. He made a promise to her father, a cop shot in the line of duty, that he would look out for her. In among all of his wrongdoings, he spends time keeping an eye on her and protecting her. When her sleuthing gets too close to the things he’d hiding, he tends to send her off on wild goose chases.
6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?
My latest release is Dead Without Shame, book 4 in my Gilda Wright Mystery series. Once more Gilda Wright is our intrepid heroine with Kane Garrick this time playing Watson to her Sherlock. While Gary is his usual dark self, he is hardly alone with secrets and hidden motives.

7. What are you working on now?
With Dead Without Shame complete, I have one more new release in September 2020, Drop Dead Cowboy. Since that one only needs edits, I’m back to working on a fantasy novel I’m writing with a friend of mine. I’m also working on Book 5 in the Gilda Wright series, Dead Without Remorse.

8. How can people find you?
Website
Blog
http://dbator.blogspot.ca/
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads


No comments: