Sunday, November 24, 2019

Sunday's Book - Search for the White Jewel #MFRWAuthor #BWLAuthor #Fantasy #Young Adult #Sword and Sorcery


Search for the White Jewel: The Jewels of Erda (The Jewels' of Erda Book 1) by [Walters, Janet Lane]

There's an interesting background to this story. The idea came to me one night as I was falling asleep. The next day on a saturday, I began to write the story. I had an old Selectric kindof typewriter. I wrote and wrote for the next seventy-two hours with just a few breaks. Fortunately it was a holiday weekend and myhusband was around to watch the children. For several months, I sent it off and received this kind of response. Like the story but we don't publish fantasy. In fact of the ten publishers I sent it to none published fantasies so I put it in the file cabinet. Many years later I was cleaning out the files and i came across this story. I took it out and did a lot of rewriting of that old rough draft and the book was accepted and published by an electronic company that went belly-up but I had my rights back. So it sat for awhile. The next time I sent it off, the editor who accepted the book said the book cried for a sequel and that;s how this series bagan. There may be some reviews from ages ago but no new ones. That's a shame since it remains one of my favorite books.

When the Holder of the Yellow Jewel dies, her ward Liara believes she will become the new Yellow Holder. The dying word of the elderly woman astonishes the young woman. She will hold the White Jewel. This fabled gem has been lost for years since her mother and her sister fought and her aunt took hold of the Black Jewel. Liara, accompanied by her foster brother set forth to find the jewel, escaping the soldiers sent by the Queen and Black Jewel Holder. During their escape, Liara meets Valmir who saves her and her foster brother during a shipwreck. During their journey, they meet other holders of the Jewels, including Reena, daughter of the now dead Queen. Though she has the Black Jewel, Reena has no idea how to use the gem.


My Places


Buy Mark

No comments: