Friday, November 10, 2017

Friday's Guest - Kayelle Allen - Who She Was Before #MFRWauthor #romance #Science fiction



1 What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?
I've been a few things. I was in the US Navy for four years as an avionics technician. I met my husband while on active duty. As it happened, he had joined the same day I had, so we got out the same time as well. I spent many years as an administrative assistant, then worked as a Human Resources representative, a recruiter for a manufacturing company, an insurance biller for a hospital, and a few other odd jobs. My admin job probably prepared me best for writing. I had to express myself clearly, be organized and follow processes. That works for marketing as well. I'm able to speak in front of a crowd and enjoy it, which was handy as a recruiter and now as a speaker at writing conventions.

2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.
I write mostly science fiction and sweet science fiction romance but I also have a sweet contemporary holiday romance and a non-fiction book about writing Sci Fi. I plan a few more non-fictions and I'm sure I'll die long before I would ever run out of stories to tell.

3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?
As a child, I inhaled books, especially science fiction. I still read it, and especially like science fiction romance, plus historical (regency is a favorite), mystery, and suspense.

4. What's your latest release?
My last book was Bringer of Chaos: the Origin of Pietas. The hero was a genuine surprise to me. Pietas had been the villain in several other books and I was having difficulty understanding his motivation in one particular novel. His followers were loyal beyond measure to their immortal king, but he was icy cold to everyone. Why did they love him? I decided to try writing his story. The Origin of Pietas was supposed to be one book. However, it opened my eyes to a larger universe than I had imagined. He wasn't a villain at all. Pietas was an anti-hero, yes, and had a wounded soul, but he was noble, truthful, loyal, and had more determination than any character I had previously written. Once I saw the truth about him, I couldn't write fast enough. There will be more books about this hero. He's completely captured my heart. I think once you pick up his book and read it, he'll capture yours. He's mentioned in almost all my other books.

5. What are you working on now?
I just finished the sequel to Bringer of Chaos: the Origin of Pietas. The new book is set on the same barren and forsaken world. Bringer of Chaos: Forged in Fire picks up where the previous book ended and continues the story of the immortal Pietas and his not-quite-human friend, Six. Here's the basic premise.
Humans created a genetically enhanced race to defend mankind. Instead, the Ultras became humanity's greatest threat. Traitors among them helped humans imprison half a million and exile them on an alien world.
Pietas has no tech, tools, or resources, but he vows to unite and avenge the Ultra people. First, he must regain command from a ruthless adversary he's fought for centuries--his brutal, merciless father.
Ultras are immortal, and with few exceptions, they revive after death. Some injuries heal instantly. A few take time. But battered trust and a broken heart... That pain lasts forever.

6. Where can we find you?
On social media, my location says "at the keyboard," which is very true. In real life, I live north of Atlanta, Georgia. Online you can find me here:


2 comments:

M. S. Spencer said...

Very interesting eclectic (ha ha) life, Kayelle. As to your latest, the story of the erstwhile villain, I also like to flesh out the wicked characters--and sometimes the minor characters usually inserted for comic relief. It's fun to show them in a wholly different light--in Penhallow Train Incident the last person you'd expect turns out to save the day. Thanks for writing!

Kayelle Allen said...

I was surprised at how much I loved this character. The villain / anti-hero is the last person you expect to do the noble thing. When they do, you just fall for them.