Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday's Guest featuring Priscilla Brown #MFRWauthor

What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing? I think I wanted to call myself a writer since I won a short story competition while in primary school. As an adult, my writing has struggled alongside seven different paying occupations, some of which have been worked concurrently and all of which from time to time have had to take priority over crafting prose. To date, I’ve used two of these jobs as backgrounds for novels, but, other than that, I don’t think they’ve influenced what or how I write.

Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don’t mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy, etc. There are many subgenres of this above. Specific—I write sweet contemporary romances showcasing sparkling protagonists, with a fairly low heat level but with sexual and sensual tension. Why? Hard! Maybe because I’m comfortable with characters who are not really larger than life and exist in believable circumstances and locations. Perhaps I should emerge from my comfort zone!

Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of genre or genres? Not initially, possibly the other way round. Some years ago, as the Australian correspondent for UK Writers News, I attended a Romance Writers of Australia conference. Impressed, I decided I could write in this genre, and added romances to my already eclectic reading choices. I made the switch from short stories and articles to book-length romances.

What’s your latest release? Hot Ticket, December 2016

What are you working on now? A series of three stories, all contemporary romances, in which each has reunion as its theme.


No comments: