Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday's Interview - Liz Matis

. What's your genre or do you write in more than one?

Steamy romances, but I have 3 story ideas for women’s fiction, 2 young adult, 1 fantasy and 1 horror (short story).

2. Did you choose your genre or did it choose you?

Chose me. I read a lot of sci-fi when I was young but found Shanna by Kathleen Woodwiss on my mother’s night table when I was 15. (I still have the same copy)

3. Is there any genre you'd like to try? Or is there one you wouldn't?

I love, love historical romances – but my voice is anything but so I’ll just stick to reading them.

4. What fiction do you read for pleasure?

Pretty much anything and everything except Mystery/Thrillers/Horror

5. Tell me a bit about yourself and how long you've been writing,

After finding that romance at age 15 I wrote mini romances for my friends
starring them and the boy they were currently crushing over.

6. Which of your characters is your favorite?

My heroes! I love them and somewhere along the line the heroines remind me that I’m married and to butt out.

7. Are there villains in your books and how were they created?

No villains.

8. What are you working on now?

A novella titled Going For It - Hannah and Jakes’ story – two secondary
characters from my new release Playing For Keeps.

9. What's your latest release and how did the idea arrive?

Playing For Keeps. I first started this story in my 20’s when I wanted to be a sports reporter. My uncle, who was one, discouraged this – way back then it wasn’t the easiest field – still isn’t but better than it used to be.

10. Tell me about your latest book and how it came about. Enclose the opening of the book around 400 words.

Here is a short blurb: Journalist Samantha Jameson always wanted to be one of the boys. Ryan Terell is a playmaker on and off the field, but when Samantha uncovers his moves, he throws out the playbook. Just as he claims his sweetest victory, Samantha’s investigation into a steroid scandal involving his team forces him to call a time-out to their off the record trysts. But then a life threatening injury on the field will force them both to decide just how far they’ll go to win the game.

Here is the opening: Playing For Keeps

“Miss, we need to see your credentials.” Two guards stood firmly in front
of the New York Cougars’ locker room.

With her index finger, Samantha pointed to the press card attached to her crisp white blouse. She tried to duck past them, but they didn’t budge.

“It says here, Sam Jameson.”

As other sportswriters breezed by, she conjured up a polite tone and
explained, “That’s my byline; it’s short for Samantha.”

“I’ll have to verify your credentials with the head of security,” the
taller of the two said. She read his name badge. Tom. The man stepped to the side, flipping open his radio like he was a Secret Service agent, while the other guard, Jerry, still barred her way.

Samantha said nothing. Being a journalist led to confrontations such as
this and she had more than her fair share, in far worse situations. Still,
frustration nagged at her, even as she reminded herself the guards were just doing their jobs. Though if she were a man she doubted she’d have this much trouble.

She bet the star tight-end for the NY Cougars believed women didn’t belong
in this inner sanctum, as well. He’d certainly come a long way since playing college ball with her brother, but she doubted that included his views on women as anything but playthings. Ryan Terell. The thought of him evoked vivid memories.

Shoulder length black hair falling in waves like rumpled satin, deep green
eyes that seemed to know what she was thinking at any given moment, and hands made for more than catching passes. Much more. Sure, great packaging, but underneath the chiseled exterior was a man who hadn’t socially evolved from dragging his knuckles on the ground. If only he’d worked as hard on his interior.

Thank God she was no longer a silly college girl who fantasized about him.
She was a woman now. She’d been around the world and around all types of men. Even big, hulking Marines who rescued stupid reporters. Yup, she was definitely over Ryan Terell.

If the arrogant egomaniac hadn’t changed since their days at Notre Dame,
her job would prove more difficult than getting banned from the locker room. And she needed this sports writing gig to work out. She couldn’t go back to writing hard news. Not ever.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I LOVE hot sports star stories! will pick this one up!

Wendy S. Marcus said...

Hi Liz!
I love historicals, too. But I'm not interested in doing the research necessary to write one!

Your book sounds great! I will definitely check it out!

Liz said...

Thanks Liz and Wendy!!!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Fiddle-dee. Research? What research?

Good luck with Playing for Keeps, Liz.

Liz said...

Thanks Taryn!

Jennifer Probst said...

Can't wait for Going for It!! Great interview!