Thursday, August 1, 2019

Thursday's Fourth Scene Forgotten Dreams #MFRWAuthor #BWLPublishing #Romance #Nurse practitioner #Actor #Hollywood


After a Saturday morning of cleaning house and having breakfast with Claire and Brian, Emma picked up her bag. “I’m off to make rounds and visit Manon. See you this afternoon.”
Brian grinned. “Mom and I are going to the playground near the school. Maybe some of my friends will be there.”
“I hope they are.” Her six year old nephew had settled into the summer program at the Academy and had made friends. “Have fun. We’ll rent a movie and pop some corn this evening.”
He clapped her hand. “Which one?”
Emma shrugged. “A surprise.”
Claire winked. “Why rent one. You have a number starring you know who.”
Emma glared. “They’re not suitable for young eyes. I’m considering getting rid of them.” Might be the first step in the freeing herself from the past.
“Really?”
“Yes.” In that instant she decided to stop yearning for what she would never have.
“Good to hear. Do you really intend to forget him?”
Emma opened the kitchen door. “I believe I am.”
“Good luck.”
And she would need every iota of good fortune. She’d clung to a dream for ten long years. Losing this obsession would allow her to find love and a family. Though her resolve strengthened she felt a moment of sadness.
“Say hello to Manon and congrats,” Claire called.
“Will do.” After rounds she intended to visit her partner and see the son born early this morning.
She parked in the doctor’s lot and hurried inside to visit the practice’s four patients. For two she wrote discharge orders. On the others, she ordered new tests and consultations.
Rounds completed, she rode the elevator to the second floor and walked to the maternity unit. She tapped on the door of Manon’s private room. Her friend reclined on the bed propped by pillows. Her husband lounged on a chair beside the bed.
“Congratulations to you both,” Emma said. “So you managed to have your child born under our Sun sign.”
“So we did,” Rafe said. “And we’ll be home in plenty of time four our mutual birthday party.”
“We need to add Claire to the group,” Emma said. “Hers is the day after mine.”
“And Maria, Jay’s new wife,” Manon said.
Rafe rose. “I’m on my way home. Be in later.”
“With food, I hope.” Manon kissed him.
While they said goodbye, Emma stood at the clear sided crib to watch the baby. Envy surged. She wanted one but before she could, she had to expunge her memories. “He’s handsome.”
Manon laughed. “Says a soon to be a doting aunt. Rafe Junior looks just like a baby.”
“Guess you won the naming battle.”
“Easily. Sit and visit.”
“I’m happy for you.” While she had siblings and a young nephew, she wanted a child. Unfortunately, there was no special man in her life. All she had was a dream she must forget. She walked to the chair. “How do you feel?”
“Sore/” Manon chuckled. “Lighter. Free. Tell me about the patients. Any potential problems?”
“We’re down to two in-house. I’m asking OT to see Sally Lund. I think Dr. Reid should have a look at Mr. Palmo. I had to change his drugs again.”
“Good thought about the consult.” Manon yawned. “Six weeks before I can return to work/ I’ll owe you.”
Emma nodded. “You will. I would like to take a trip in October.”
“Where will you go?”
California.”
Manon frowned. “Why?”
“To put an end to feelings I’ve had for ages. Regarding an old flame.” Emma gulped a breath. “Do you know Fern Lake’s most famous former resident lives there? We were an item in high school. I need to expunge my fantasies.”
“Did you love him?”
Emma nodded. “Head over heels. I thought he felt the same. I waited for him to return. Didn’t happen.”
“Must have hurt.” Manon touched her hand.
Emma nodded. She fought the rise of tears. “When his mother left town to live with him, she and I talked. Then she died and for two years all I’ve seen or heard are tabloid stories. Yet like a fool I hoped. I need to tell him face to face how much I hurt.”
“You’re right. Years ago when I was told Rafe had died, I was furious. On the night of the prom, he’d run away and I didn’t know why. Then I was told he died. When he returned I was hurt and angry. Slowly I learned the real story and we found each other again. Maybe seeing him will have the same result.”
Emma shook her head. “Not possible. He has a different kind of life but I need to vent to him so I can move on.”
“Then go for t. Wish I could tell you to leave now.” She yawned again.
Emma rose. What her friend said made sense. She must move away from childish dreams. “I’ll stop by tomorrow when I make rounds and then visit you at home to deliver the gifts I haven’t wrapped.”
“Don’t waste the paper.”
Emma stepped into the hall. She could go home and make a sandwich but her stomach growled. Claire and Brian would have lunch out. She reached the ground floor and headed to the cafeteria. She assembled a salad and stopped for the chef to add thin slices of ham, turkey, cheese and eggs. After paying, she filled a large cup with iced tea and carried her lunch to a table near the window.
As she ate, a group of young nurses sat at the next table. Though she hadn’t meant to listen, their loud excited voices caught her attention.
“I nearly went crazy when the ambulance brought him in,” one nurse said.
“Why?” asked a second.
A third leaned forward. “We thought he was Chad Morgan.”
The fourth laughed. “Why would a Hollywood hunk come to Fern Lake? We’re not a tourist destination.”
“Alas he isn’t Storm.” The first nurse sighed. “His name is Ian Greve. Still he has a face and bod to drool over.”
“So what happened to him?”
“Car accident. He’s responding but in pain. Keeps passing out and they can’t give him anything for pain until the surgeon arrives.”
Emma gulped her tea. She knew that name. Chad’s middle name was Ian and his mother’s maiden name was Greve. The nurses at the other table were too young to know Chad had been a star athlete and a leading actor in school and in community theater productions. She couldn’t imagine any reason for him to come home. He never had before.
“I still wish I could be his nurse,” the first young nurse said. “If he’ll be here for weeks, there’s a chance.”
Emma finished her salad and carried her tray to the cleanup area. As she walked toward the exit, she paused. Curiosity stirred. If he was Chad, why was he in Fern Lake? She reversed direction and headed to the ER.
At the desk, she paused to speak to the nurse practitioner on duty. “I hear you have a new admit from a car accident.”
Her friend looked up. “Ambulance chasing?”
Emma laughed. “If his name is Ian Greve, I may know him.”
“Glad someone does.” She frowned. “He’s in pain and keeps talking about a pickup and a post. He also asks for someone called Rob. He’s a real puzzle.”
“Where is he?”
The second cubicle. Dr. Marchand is on the way in. See if you can persuade him to sign a consent.”
“I’ll try.”
Emma strode across the hall. She paused with her hand on the curtain. After gulping a breath, she slid to cloth aside. “Chad. Chad Morgan.”


No comments: