Friday, November 11, 2022

Friday Elf Ahearn is talking about her latest release #MFRWAuthor #romance Anthology #Regency #romance #unicorn

 

 

“Regency romance with a gothic twist.”

Elfahearn.com

@elfahearn

 

 

 

1.      Tell me about your latest release or the book you wish to feature? Genre?

The Eve of Love is an anthology of short stories taking place on New Year’s Eve. Within its hallowed covers is my short story Love in the Midst of Midnight. Last year I released a novella, The Christmas Unicorn. To my surprise the characters in Love in the Midst of Midnight demanded to appear in a sequel to The Christmas Unicorn. What could I do? When books seize the keyboard and start writing themselves, you have no choice but to sit back and let them have at it.

 

2.      Where did the idea arise?

My parents, who were theatrical in every sense of the word, used to throw costume parties every New Year’s Eve. I met my first husband at one, wearing the same red velvet dress in which my heroine appears. “Write about what you know,” they say, so that’s what I did in Love in the Midst of Midnight. The countdown, the burning of confessions, the dinner, and the show are just as my parents had back in those wild and wonderful days of yore.

 

3.      How much research was involved? Did you stay on point or be distracted by wanting to look at just one more thing?

Many rabbit holes were explored during the writing of this short story. For example, my heroine is a street performer, which led me to reading about organ grinders. At one time there were perhaps hundreds of thousands of them playing on the streets of London from 8 AM to 10 PM. The noise was so overbearing, a law was enacted fining musicians 40 shillings if they failed to vacate immediately after being asked to do so.

“Vendors of fruit and flowers, of milk and muffins are not agreeable visitors when they roar for a living, and the poor organ-grinder little knows, let us hope, the anguish he inflicts upon sensitive nerves.” Janeaustinworld.com 

 

4.      How long did you take to write the book?

I’m a notoriously slow writer so I’m going to guesstimate six months. Pitiful, eh?

 

5.      Now a bit about you. How long have you been writing? What is your Sun Sign?

I am a Taurus, and yikes I’ve been penning fiction for about 10 years. Before that I was a journalist for 10 years, a corporate communicator for two years, and for a few decades before I jumped into writing, I was a professional actress in NYC with a day-job in insurance. Because numbers are baffling and full of inexplicable tricks, I was horrible at insurance; my bosses liked me because I kept them amused.

 

6.      Do you write in a number of genres of stick to one?

I stick to one genre: “Regency romance with a gothic twist.”

 

       7.   Where on the internet can you be found?

The very best place to find me is on Facebook, but I do have a Website: elfahearn.com. It’s hosted by Yahoo!, which is folding up shop, so I’m going to have to pack up all my stuff soon and move. Ugg. I can also be found on Twitter and Whatsapp at @elfahearn.

No comments: