Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Wednesday Murder and Mint Tea #MFRWHooks #BWLPublishing #MFRWAuthor #Cozy mystery #Maine Coon Cat

Murder and Mint Tea (Mrs. Miller Mysteries Book 1)

Join me and the other authors at  http://mfrwbookhooks.blogspot.com for some interesting excerpts and perhaps find a new book to real. Mine is up at http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com and is a cozy mystery and about a neighborhood's troubles. In this excerpt you'll meet Kathrine's new tenants



BLURB:

Katherine is a retired nurse and a retired church organist. The small Hudson River village where she lives in her Victorian “Painted Lady” makes her the neighborhood matriarch. Along with her Maine Coon Cat Robespierre, she guards friends and families.

When amoral Rachel moves into the first floor apartment of Katherine’s house, trouble erupts. The murder weapon is one she recognizes and makes her fear for her friends and family. Finding the killer becomes her goal.

Editorial Review
Murder and Mint Tea is a gem in its genre, combining the voice of a classic American whodunit with that of a traditional British detective novel. Murder She Wrote meets Miss Marple in a beautifully crafted tale that makes the reader want to reach into the pages and dispense justice to the villainess themselves. ~ Writer Gail Roughton

EXCERPT:

     When Ted Thomas’ silver Mercedes with a rusty trailer in tow pulled in at the curb, a giggle escaped.  Andrew’s best friend always considers his impression on others before he acts.  The sight beyond my window was enough to shatter his suave playboy image.
     A blonde woman left the car.  Two children erupted from the van and tore across the year running through one of the flower beds.  I raised the window in time to hear their name-calling.  Two men opened the door of the van and carried pieces of furniture to the house.  A couch, two easy chairs, a dinette set, several dressers, a bed, mattress and some tables.  I thought of the odds and ends of furniture in the attic.  Would the offer of beds for the children offend my tenant?
     As soon as they unloaded the van, the man carried boxes from the trailer.  The children dashed up and down the walk.  Ted and the blonde stood like Siamese twins joined at the hip and watched the progress.  Tem had attempted to disguise himself by wearing dark glasses.
     The phone rang.  Without missing a second of the unfolding drama, I answered.
     “Just me.”  Sarah said.  “What’s she like?  Are the kids nice?  Is that Ted Thomas?”
     “It is.”
     “Is that all?”
     “You know as much as I do.”
     “Didn’t they come for the keys?”
     “Andrew must have given them a set.”  A black Lincoln drove past.  Ted turned his back to the street.  I laughed.
     “What’s so funny?”  Sarah asked.
     “Ted.  He’s acting like he’s about to be caught performing an illegal act.  He’s wearing dark glasses.  Maybe he’d like a false beard.”
     “If he’s afraid of being seen, why offer to help?”
     “I can’t answer for him but I’m sure I’ll learn.”
     “It’s not like he can’t be seen with her.  He’s divorced and so is she.”
     Sarah was right.  Ted has been divorced for five years.  Though he and Andrew are buddies and Ted’s ex-wife is a member of Sr. Stephens, I’ve never learned the details of the split.  “Talk to you later.”
     “Good enough,”  Sarah said.  “Shame you’re an invalid.  Otherwise you could make a neighborly call.”
     “Goodbye.”  None of my family or friends knows how far toward independence I’ve traveled.  Yesterday before Bessie left I’d reached the landing.  Today I intended to go to the first floor.
     The van backed out of the driveway.  Ted got into his car.  As the Mercedes and trailer pulled away the blonde blew a kiss.
     Curiosity as strong as the cat killing kind egged me into action.  I rubbed Robespierre’s head.  “Too soon to go down.”
     An hour later, Robespierre pawed my face and startled me awake.  He jumped from my side and padded to the kitchen.  The cat door flapped.  I hobbled to the kitchen and took the tray from the refrigerator and set it on the table.  Then with extreme caution I started down the stairs.  After a brief rest on the landing I continued.  In the foyer I wiped my sweat-drenched forehead and felt as if I’d worked hours in the garden on a sultry day.  I rang the bell to announce my arrival.
     After a short wait, the door opened a crack.  “Who’s there?”  a child asked.
     “Katherine Miller from upstairs.”
     The crack widened.  Eyes the blue of summer skies seemed to be the only feature on a dust streaked face.  A mass of tangled brown hair hung down the girl’s back.  Her gaze focused on the crutches.  “What did you do to your leg?”
     “Slipped and broke it.”
     “Susie, who is it?”  A woman’s voice, strident with anger, echoed in the near empty apartment.
     “The lady from upstairs.”
     “Can’t you ever do anything right.  I told you not to open the door.”  The girl seemed to shrink.  Her shoulders hunched as if expecting a blow.  “Find out what she wants and get back to work.”
     “There’s a platter of cold cuts and salads for you.”  I raised my voice in an attempt to remove the child from the communication line.  “Moving day can be hectic.  I wanted to welcome you.”
     A boy sauntered to the door.  “Snoop.  That’s what you are.  You come to snoop. You’re an ugly old witch.”
     His verbal attack stunned me.  “This is my house.”
     He pushed a lock of honey blond hair from his forehead.  “Don’t believe you.”
     “Bring the tray in,”  the woman called.  “Susie, put water on for coffee.”
     “She don’t have anything,”  the boy shouted.
     “The tray’s upstairs.  I’m on crutches.  I came down to see if one of the children could fetch it.  Don’t bother with coffee.  I know you’re busy.”
     “Stay.  I need a break.”
     “Then I will.”
     Planting my crutches firmly on the slate I crossed the foyer and entered the living room.  The few pieces of furniture seemed lost in the L-shaped room.  Years ago a concert grand had dominated the space.
     “Be just a few minutes.  Lord, I’d forgotten what real neighbors were like.  In the apartment complex where I lived, I was lucky if anyone spoke.”
     “You’ll find this is a friendly neighborhood.”  Hoping she would appear I continued through the living room.  A conversation with a disembodied voice is eerie.
     “Snoop,”  the boy whispered.  He sat on the floor in front of the Television and ate chips from a bag.  Why wasn’t he helping?

My Places

BUY MARK
http://bookswelove.net/authors/walters-janet-lane-romance-fantasy-suspense-medical/

8 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Very vivid! And how I identify with your lady on crutches!

Kryssie Fortune said...

Love "curiosity of the cat killing kind" Great excerpt

Anonymous said...

This is a rather chaotic move, it seems.

Kayelle Allen said...

I have the feeling this is not going anywhere good. ;o

Linda O'Connor said...

I love cozy mysteries! This sounds awesome!

Holly Bargo said...

That's a great phrase: "Curiosity as strong as the cat killing kind." Really expressive and original while still using a cliche. Well done!

Linda McLaughlin said...

Interesting opening, Janet. I have to wonder how this will play out. Good hook.

Daryl Devoré said...

So true - a conversation with a disembodied voice is eerie. Great snippet.I can never find your Tweet button??? Did you hide it somewhere?