Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday's Guest - Sydell Voeller Who She Was Before #MFRWauthor #BWLPublishers


What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?

Initially I worked as a registered nurse, but I like to think of myself as a writer before I became a nurse. In high school, I was the associated editor of the school newspaper, the editor of the creative writing publication, and I kept my own journal for several years. The journal, describing my topsy-turvy teen experiences proved an excellent resource for my writing years later.  In a word, it sparked many ideas for my first published teen romances novels via Silhouette’s “Crosswinds” young adult line and Bantam’s “Sweet Dream” series.  I also wrote short stories for a church-related magazine for young teens.

Are you genre specific or general? Why?

My books are genre specific: sweet contemporary romances (both young adult and adult).  The reason I settled on writing in this genre is because that’s the type of novel I enjoy reading.  Also, my first publisher for adult contemporary romances required clean “family reading,” and so that became my writing style.

Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres? 

Yes. Not only did I enjoy reading in my genre, I used this as a tool to learn what the publishers were looking for and what they were buying.

What’s your latest release? The Heart Leads Home, a contemporary adult romance.

What are you working on now? 

The title of my work-in-progress is Echoes in Time, an adult contemporary romance set in my home town on a beach in Washington State, although the town’s name in the story is fictitious.  At this point,, I’m subscribing to the old theory that if a writer talks too much about her current project, she will lose the motivation to write it. So please stay tuned...

Where Can We Find You?





1 comment:

Sydell Voeller said...

Thanks, Janet, for hosting me. It’s been fun!