Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Stella Marie Alden Talking About Heroes, Heroines and Villains #MFRWauthor



1.      Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms?

Besides my only published work, a Medieval romance, I’ve written two modern, that I call chic-geek, and one paranormal. I like all genres. I can imagine writing mysteries, too. My mind is always wandering to new ideas.

Do your reading choices reflect your writing choices? Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?

I read everything. Most important is an entertaining story and because of that, I think pure erotica might be difficult for me to write. I like the sex to be part of the growth of the relationship, not the primary focus.

2.      Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write? Does one of these come easy and why?

A strong heroine is my favorite but it doesn’t come easy. Almost like an actress, I become my characters and it can be exhausting. I must feel everything they feel in order to write for them.

3.      Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

The story in my head demands the hero, and thus he’s born completely out of imagination. Marcus, in ‘How to Train Your Knight’ was actually too demanding and rough in the first drafts. I had to soften him up a bit. He was perhaps more historically correct, but not nice enough to fall in love with.


4.      Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

It’s so odd for me to consider which came first, the plot or the character. I think my process is something like this. I start with a premise, such as, what if there was a Renaissance woman living in the late middle-ages? What if she was forced to marry a hard-headed knight? From there, I make a very rough outline, start to write, and the characters come to life through dialog. The little subplots develop as the story unfolds.

5.      Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

These are really hard questions! Bad guys never think they are bad guys, do they? So when I am writing in their point of view, they have perfectly valid reasons for acting thus. As far as choosing, hmmm. It’s more that they just appear on the page. Often I’ll have a minor bad guy, only to learn that someone more powerful is pulling the strings.



6.      What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

My first book is called ‘How to Train Your Knight.” In it, a Renaissance woman living in the high middle ages creates a utopian-like village for her serfs. Our hero is a Templar knight, newly back from the Holy Lands, known as “The Beast.” There are many bad-guys, the worst of them are dead, but their abuse of our heroine haunts her.


7.      What are you working on now?

I signed up for a trilogy with Soul Mate Publishing. I’m working on book two of the Medieval Romance. In it, Marcus’ first in command comes home, after five years of trading abroad, to learn he has inherited land on the Scottish border. He also has a miracle of a son, considering he never breached the woman.

8. How can people find you?
            Amazon: www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRNKOOU
            Blog: www.stellamariealden.com
            Twitter: @stellamariealde
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/StellaAlden/
            GoodReads: www.goodreads.com/book/show/25366748

No comments: