Thursday, December 30, 2010

Susan Palmquist - Interview

Today's interview is with Susan Palmquist. Met her on line. I'm not sure but I think we're exchanging interviews. Hope you enjoy.


1. What's your genre or do you write in more than one?

Erotic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal and some erotica.

2. Did you choose your genre or did it choose you?

A little of both. I enjoy writing them and editors seem to like the stories too.

3. Is there any genre you'd like to try? Or is there one you wouldn't?

Maybe a horror…one day. I don’t think I’d try literary.

4. What fiction do you read for pleasure?

Mysteries, suspense, romance.

5. Tell me a bit about yourself and how long you've been writing,

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I’m very driven and sometimes when a story is going really well I can get lost for hours.

6. Which of your characters is your favorite?

I really like Andy from my current release, Mistaken Identity.

7. Are there villains in your books and how were they created?

No, villains. I like to create characters who are sometimes their own worst enemies.

8. What are you working on now?

I actually have two projects in the works, an erotic paranormal and also a younger man, older woman story. Part of is set on the island of Mallorca.

9. What's your latest release and how did the idea arrive?

It’s Mistaken Identity. The idea came about when I visualized the heroine breaking into a safe in this guy’s house. It was going to be a mystery but then evolved into an erotic romance.

10. Tell me about your latest book and how it came about. Enclose the opening of the book around 400 words.

It was an idea that was in my head for many months. I played around with a few ideas and wrote it. Then with some feedback from one of my critique partners, I changed some of the plot and back story.



Hannah’s hands shook. She’d never done anything like this before and wasn’t sure if she had the nerve to go through with it. Her instructions were to enter the house, then walk up the stairs to the master bedroom. There would be a painting of a vase of flowers on the wall and behind it a safe that she’d need to open.

Then the game would begin.

She lifted the painting off the wall and sat it on the floor. Glancing at her palm, she checked the combination sequence. Twenty-three right, thirty-two left and then nineteen right. Taking a deep breath, she turned the dial to number twenty-three. How had her friends managed to talk her into doing something like this?

A bead of perspiration broke out on her forehead. She turned the lock right to nineteen, causing the safe door to spring open and almost hit her in the face. Inside sat a box of condoms, some DVDs and a pair of stockings and garters.

Yeah, she’d made a mistake, all right. She swallowed twice. Could she do this?

Her hand hovered near the button she’d been instructed to push when she was ready to move to level two of the game.

“Hold it right there,” a man’s voice said.

She jumped.

She hadn’t pressed the button yet, so how did he know she was ready?

Was she ready? No, she didn’t think she had the nerve for this.

“Okay, turn around very slowly. And keep your hands up in the air where I can see them at all times.”

Okay, this was it. She couldn’t get out of it now, could she?

“Looks like I’ve been caught red handed,” she said, turning around.

Her best friends had assured her he was cute, but they’d lied. This guy was drop-dead gorgeous. Six foot two, maybe even three, broad shoulders, light brown hair, green eyes…just the opposite of Brad.

Why had she thought of him immediately upon setting eyes on this man? He was out of the picture now. She had to keep reminding herself of that little fact. Brad was history and this was her night.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

They’d told her if she played along with everything this guy said and asked her to do, it would add to her enjoyment. Here was her first opportunity.

“I didn’t steal anything from the safe. You can search me if you want.”

He walked over to the safe, looked inside and then rummaged through its contents.

“Okay, turn around, put your hands up on the wall and spread your legs.”

He sounded so official, just like a real cop or even a security guard. This guy was good.

Hannah placed her palms on the wall while spreading her legs wide apart.

What was coming next?

Would she chicken out as soon as his hands touched her?

She felt his warm breath close to her ear as he patted her down. He tapped her breasts but didn’t linger on them like she’d expected. He then made his way over her stomach. Next each leg was patted down. She closed her eyes.

She’d been nervous for nothing. This was already fun.

“Slowly turn back around and face me.”

Hannah did as he asked.

No comments: