Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Shattered Dreams Meet the Antagonists #MFRWHooks #BWLAuthor #romance #medical

 

Join the authors at #MFRWHooks here http://mfrwbookhooks.blogspot.com for some great excerpts. Mine features the antagonists from Shattered Dreams.

Blurb:

Torn apart years ago by lies and threats, Rafe Marshall returns to town and confronts Manon Lockley. She has been told he died on the night he stood her up for their senior prom.

When she faints, Rafe catches her and realizes he hasn’t stopped loving her. Manon carries anger and now grief that wasn’t real. Rafe wants her in his life, but she doesn’t want to talk about what happened in the past. She can’t be sure if her father or someone else told lies about Rafe and she doesn’t want to know. Can Rafe persuade her to listen? Not without a battle.



Excerpt:

Where’s Sands?”

“Room one.”

Manon crossed the hall and pulled the chart from the rack on the wall beside the door. She glanced at the number of unwarranted visits. Her determination to see him gone grew.

Carrying this thought, she entered the examining room and halted. Tom had failed to don the patient goes. Clad only in bright blue boxers and blue socks he sat on the edge of the examining table. His physique lacked the ability to attract her. Flabby chest, narrow shoulders, pale skin covered with dark hair. Her jaw clenched.

Tom grinned. “I’ve been waiting.”

I haven’t. She remained in the doorway. “What do you want?”

“I have a fever.”

She released an exasperated sigh. “Ninety-eight point nine isn’t indicative of an illness. Why are you wasting my time?”

“If you would take my calls and accept my invitations to dinner, I wouldn’t have to play sick.”

Her hands coiled into fists. “You’ve put me in a difficult situation. If I bill your insurance company, I’m guilty of fraud. Was that your purpose? Want me to lose my license to practice medicine?”

“If course not.” He set his feet on the footstool. “I’m frustrated. Come to dinner with me.” He lunged for her hand and nearly fell.

Manon reached behind for the doorknob. “The answer is no. I don’t want to go anywhere with you. In high school, after that first dreadful date, I turned down your invitations. I said no when I was in grad school. That remains my answer.”

“How long will you cling to the memory of a dead man? He deserted you.” Tom reached for his trousers.

Manon’s bond tensed. Did he remember the date? Had he come to the office to say those words? “That is my affair.”


Before long the meeting adjourned. All but one of the women left. Rafe gathered his notes.

Janice Moore sidled toward him and blocked his path to the door. Rafe braced for the encounter.

“I’m so sorry about Mrs. Patton’s health issues.” Janice’s toothy smile made Rafe feel as though she wanted to bite him.

“She’s improving.”

Janice stepped closer. “Allow me to welcome you to Fern Lake General.” She reached for him.

Rafe evaded and slid past her, hoping for a graceful exit. He wasn’t buying what she peddled.

The loudspeaker crackled. “Dr. Lockley to CCU.”

“Got to go.” Rafe dashed from the room and sped down the stairs to the second floor. His breathing rasped as he hit the door to the cardiac unit. Manon stood at the desk.

“What happened to Gran?” he asked.

My Places

   https://twitter.com/JanetL717

 https://www.facebook.com/janet.l.walters.3?v=wall&story_f

bid=113639528680724

 http://bookswelove.net/

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com

https://www.pinterest.com/shadyl717/

 

Buy Mark

https://bookswelove.net/walters-janet-lane/

3 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Ouch! What a difficult scene!

It's pretty hard to imagine how I'd react, learning that someone whom I thought was dead was actually still alive.

Daryl Devoré said...

Great excerpt. Bit of a shock for her.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Sounds like Tom can't take a hint or even a direct turn-down.