Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Wednesday Murder and Tainted Tea #MFRWHooks #BWLAuthor #Cozy mystery #Book 3 #Robespierre Maine Coon Cat

 

Join the authors at #MFRWHooks  here   http://mfrwbookhooks.blogspot.com  for some great excerpts. Kathering journeys to Santa Fe @https://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com to find Murder and Tainted Tea.

Blurb:
Katherine heads to Santa Fe, New Mexico along with a Maine Coon Cat kitten to spend New Year’s Eve with Lars. Her guilty feelings over the organist’s death has her needing an escape. When she reaches Santa Fe, she discovers Lars is missing. She seeks and finds him and steps into another mystery.

Lars’ daughter dislikes Katherine but when the young woman is kidnapped, they are puzzled. The murder of Lars’ daughter and one of his employees makes solving the mysteries necessary. Can she learn before Lars becomes a victim.

Editorial Review
With every book, I think the Katherine Miller Mysteries can't get any better. I'm always wrong, because they always do. ~ Writer Gail Roughton



Excerpt:

I joined the pair. “I’ve checked the house twice. He’s not here.”

She brushed her hair from her face. “I’ve been out all day. Been busy with preparations for the party. Did you try Carl or Damon?”

Don raked his hair in an awkward parody of his sister’s graceful gesture. “The office was the second place I called. Carl and Damon were in a meeting and couldn’t be disturbed. The secretary said Dad wasn’t with them.”

“Maybe Daddy had some last minute shopping to do in preparation for Aunt Katherine’s visit.”

“He sent Consuela to the store.” Don glared at his sister. “Didn’t you notice his car’s still here?”

“Never looked.” She smoothed her blue sweater over her slim hips. “What’s eating you? Ever since Ramona died, you’ve been jumping at shadows.”

“We’ve talked about what I plan to do.”

“And I’ve said it’s impossible.”

Don rose. “Right now, I’m worried about Dad. Haven’t you noticed how edgy and distant he’s been lately?”

Bonnie laughed. “That’s just your imagination. He’s been fine.”

“He’d never go off without leaving a note for Aunt Katherine. You know how much he’s looked forward to her visit.”

Bonnie planted her hands on her hips. “He was more worried about how she’d fit in with our friends. I’m sure he’s gone off with one of his cronies.” She turned and manufactured a smile that left her blue eyes as cold as diamonds. “No disrespect meant, but you don’t move in the same circles as Daddy and I do.”

My jaw clenched. Back east Lars and I have the same set of friends. While the people here were unknown to me, as a nurse and former choir director, I’ve dealt with the rich, the poor and the in-betweens.

A few calming breaths controlled my anger and my need to lash out at this rude young woman. I couldn’t allow myself to forget what was important and that was my friend’s whereabouts.

“For heaven’s sake, have you forgotten Dad’s missing?” Don grasped his sister’s shoulders.

“You don’t know if he is. He could be anywhere. Maybe he’s planning something for my party. I know he wants the affair to be as perfect as mine usually are.”

“So glad you’re pleased with your social success, but get real. Did Dad mention having any new problems with the business?”

While they bickered, I tried to recall the little I’d learned from Lars’ phone call. “Last night when we talked he seemed worried about his retirement plans and—”

“Just what did he say?” Don asked.

Bonnie jerked away from her twin. “I doubt he would tell her anything and there couldn’t have been a problem or I would have known. He’s turned everything over to me.”

“Are there missing records?” Don asked.

“What do you care about the business as long as you and your br...child can live off the profits?” She stabbed her finger toward the sleeping child.

“I’ve never taken a cent I haven’t earned.”

“Pardon me if I don’t believe that. What about the house where you’re living rent free?”

“You have the same benefit. Does Dad charge you rent for the mansion you talked him into building to enhance your image?”

“The house is necessary.”

My Places

   https://twitter.com/JanetL717

 https://www.facebook.com/janet.l.walters.3?v=wall&story_f

bid=113639528680724

 http://bookswelove.net/

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com

https://www.pinterest.com/shadyl717/

 

Buy Mark

https://bookswelove.net/walters-janet-lane/

3 comments:

Vivi said...

Nice excerpt!

Maggie Blackbird said...

Ooh love love this line: She turned and manufactured a smile that left her blue eyes as cold as diamonds.

I loved the excerpt. Such great writing.

Tena Stetler said...

Great excerpt! Lots of things to settle out, including the mystery! Good Luck! Thanks for sharing. I love mysteries!