Friday, January 15, 2021

Friday Daryl Devore is visiting and talking about being a Panster or a Plotter #MFRWAuthor #Panster #Fantasy #dragons

How I Pantsered my way through The Last Dragon

Panster or Plotter

 

Day 1

 

1. Are you a panster or a plotter or perhaps a bit of both?

 

99.999999 pantser. Which is why it took years to write this book. I started writing in one heat level (hot romance), then I discovered that I wanted this story to be Sweet. Then I decided that a character had to have a major twist that I hadn’t even thought about, then I discovered…. All of this did involve some rewrites.

 

2. Which comes first - characters or plot for you?

 

As a pantser, it has to be the characters. It is my characters who dance around in my head, giving plot twists and dialogue.  I read somewhere, that pantser books are character driven and plotted books are plot driven – usually. And it does make sense.

I would like to try writing a mystery, but I am guessing there is a lot of plotting in that – maybe someday.

 

3. What are you working on now? Is this a book in a current series or something totally new?

 

Well, I have 3 books I have gotten my rights back for, so I am re-releasing them. Plus, I have 2 book bundles of some of my back list -getting that set up to be released. And…I, accidently, started writing another medieval fantasy romance. It is an off-shoot of this book.  So, I guess, maybe, it’s book 2 in a series I hadn’t realized I was writing.

 

4. Do you have some kind of object or place that figures in most of your books? I use gems a lot, hospitals and caves.

 

Water. I discovered this in my writing a few books ago. The characters always seem to end up near or in water – on a boat, by a waterfall, swimming. No idea why. I even tried not to have them do it on one book and scenes kept popping up in my head where they would be near water. I think I solved it by having them fly from North America to Europe. They have to fly over water!

 

5. Do you write everyday or just when the spirit hits?

 

Yes. I may not sit at my keyboard and type every day, but the story is constantly on my mind. Something in the real world triggers an idea and a character starts creating a scene for me to write. That’s sort of how The Last Dragon got started. Someone said “dragon” and then one started flying around in my head.

 

6. Where can we find you?

 

I’m not actually hiding. LOL. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

 

Blog - Romance - Sweet to Heat

Twitter

Bi-monthly Newsletter

MEWE

Pinterest

Instagram

Facebook

Website

Amazon Author Page

GoodReads Author Page

LinkedIn

Book Bub

 

Can I make a plug for my newsletter? It will only be bi-monthly and it is personally from me. I will send out an email with information, and snippets etc. You can even have say in what goes in to the newsletter.

 

7. Who are your favorite authors? What about a book you’ve enjoyed?

 

I love British mystery. I have all of Agatha Christie’s books and have read them a dozen times. I even have the DVDs. I love settling in to her books on a cold winter day with a mug of hot chocolate.

Dorothy L Sayers. OMG!! I adore her books. They aren’t easy to read, but her character – Lord Peter Wimsey – is perfect. I even belong to a FB group dedicated to Lord Peter Wimsey.

Then there is Peter Ellis and the Cadfael books. An 11th century monk solving crimes.

Of course – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the beloved Sherlock Holmes.

All of these books are like great friends. 

1 comment:

Daryl Devoré said...

Thanks for letting me stop by and talk about my being a pantser and my latest book.