Friday, May 26, 2017

Friday's Guest - Featuring Heather Greenis #MFRWauthor #fictional elements #characters

JW - We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?
HG - I normally begin with the plot. I work around it.
Most mysteries begin with murder scene and the author unravels the mystery behind the who.
My imagination took me in a different direction with my most recent novel, DONE. I didn't begin with gruesome scene. It doesn't begin with the discovery of a body.
The who, why, when and finally where fall into place.

 JW - How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
HG - My characters are developed through the 'what'  The villain has to suit the crime. I have to make him or her believable, but deplorable. Or at the very least disliked, depending on the plot. The level of education has to suit the character.

JW. - Do your characters come before the plot?
HG - That depends on my initial idea. My inspiration.
When I wrote The Natasha Saga - I began with the character Natasha. The plot for the entire saga evolved around her character.
While working on 'Done' I began with a specific scene, the end of the story, and wrote characters to suit the plot.

JW - Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
HG - So far, in my writing, I know the ending. It gets modified but basically I write around the initial idea.
My original idea for The Natasha Saga ended with Book 1. Natasha's Dream. My husband read it and said, you can't end it there. So it grew…and grew… and grew and became a continuing saga.
Natasha's Dream, Natasha's Diary, Natasha's Hope, and Natasha's Legacy.
My latest project DONE did not end the way I initially intended. Another ending had more impact. The basic plot remained the same

JW - Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
HG - Homes are based on places I have visited.  In the saga, William and Keeghan's home is similar to our current home. Their property was inspired from a bed and breakfast we stayed in while visiting British Columbia. It was a beautiful ocean-front piece of property.
The main home in Done is a based on a friend's home with some changes of course. My grandparents' home inspired the villains house.
I think it's easier when an author can picture an actual setting in their mind.
The outdoor setting is based on a walking trail we use daily with our dog. It isn't quite as secluded, but we can truly see for kilometres.


JW -  Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
HG - The Saga had an historical element so I found myself looking up dates for inventions. Cars, gas lighting, wars, clothing, etc.
Done is not historical so I went on line for specific terms or information to keep it legit. I also speak with people who have knowledge in the field.



JW - Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?
HG - I try to draft my plot but then my imagination takes over with 'something shiny'. Wouldn't if be cool if… Or, oh, this would be better if…
My mind is rather active. Like most artists, I'm always thinking of ways to make it better. Or developing a new plot in my mind

JW - Where can we find you on the net?



No comments: