Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday - Who She Was Before featurning Barb Caffrey #MFRWauthor


1. What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?

## I started out my life as a musician. I believe the rhythm, cadence, harmony and melodies of music all have inspired me to write cohesive, thoughtful stories...and they certainly inspired my poetry, early on in life.



2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.

## I don't think of myself as genre-specific, no. While I'm known more for my funny fantasy (or possibly for my short stories in STARS OF DARKOVER, GIFTS OF DARKOVER and the upcoming REALMS OF DARKOVER), I also write military SF, paranormal romance, and have been known to write other sorts of stories as well. I also spent several years writing opinions and for the arts and entertainment section of my college newspapers before that...so I tend to see myself as a writer, period.


3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?

## I have always enjoyed reading fantasy and science fiction; I remember reading most of the late, great Andre Norton's stories before I hit age 15. (These would all now be called young adult, or YA, stories.) She wrote all sorts of things; most were fantasy, some were science fiction, some were F&SF hybrids, some were historicals, some were romances...the only thing in common with all of Miss Norton's stories were that they kept me turning the pages. (They were cracking good, in other words.) So it's possible that I picked up on the idea that I could write anything I wanted from her, and maybe from Anne McCaffrey later, and possibly even Lois McMaster Bujold (whose books, regardless of genre, are must-reads in this household).

##Even as a full adult, though, I have continued to read whatever struck my fancy. For research, I read hard science and history. For fun, I read books by Katharine Eliska Kimbriel, Stephanie Osborn, Rosemary Edghill and of course Bujold...though as I'm now a writer and editor myself, I always learn something whenever I read anything from these amazing authors.




5. What are you working on now?

## CHANGING FACES, a transgender fantasy romance due out sometime during the summer of 2016.


6. Where can we find you?

## blog: elfyverse.wordpress.com
book review site: shinybookreviews.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/barb.caffrey.1
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BarbCaffrey
Google-Plus: https://plus.google.com/101403408003727584589/about

2 comments:

Barb Caffrey said...

Thank you so much for having me at your blog, Janet...I have appreciated the opportunity immensely!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Glad to have you