Friday, August 21, 2015

Friday - Kim Kasch - Talking About Heroes, Heroines and Villains #MFRWauthor

1.      Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms?
I write all the time and always have. When I was in 6th or 7th grade (which was eons ago…almost) I sent in a manuscript of poetry to Random House. I actually even got a letter back from an editor who encouraged me to keep writing. And, I have, from wistful shopping lists to adult romance (both are filled with imagination, dreams and lust ;) sometimes I switch over to middle grade manuscripts and more.
I’ve written dozens of magazine articles for magazines like Romantic Homes and American Hunter (no I don’t hunt and neither does my hubby) but I have a girlfriend who went through a challenging divorce and was having trouble making ends meet…she took up hunting to put food on the table—now, that’s a story I just had to write.
Plus, I have a couple of published books and stacks and stacks of unpublished books just cluttering up my home…have you read my article The Clutter Queen ;D
2.      Do your reading choices reflect your writing choices?
My favorite author of all time is Stephen King probably because he can write horror without resorting to slash ‘em and gash ‘em tactics. And, yes. I think you might find some of Stephen sprinkled into my stories…No. Not literally. ;D
3.      Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?
Hum, that’s a tough one. I’m sure there are lots of genres I would never attempt…but never say Never.
4.      Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write?
I like my men (or my male characters) just like my coffee: tan, strong and bold. Oh, yeah, and of course stimulating and yummy. ;D
My female characters have to have some sort of spark to keep these gallant guys interested. So, they are usually unique in some sort of way. In my first novel, The Viking Princess, Morgaine LeFey is a sorceress and the half-sister to King Arthur but that isn’t even the unique part of her personality. She is also strong-willed enough to ride into battle beside her brother and to be an iconic symbol for the Knights of the Round Table. And yet even that wasn’t enough. She also had to take a Viking Prince and Warrior – her kinsman’s sworn enemy – as a lover.
5.      Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

My heroes, heroines and villains all come from everyday life. I take a little bit of my sister Tammy and a chunk of my brother Steve and whisk in a frothing helping of my husband…I told you, you might find Stephen sprinkled into my story ;D No. Not literally.  

6.      Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?
I think everyone is a little bit of a hero and we all have a slice of villain running through our veins. No one I’ve ever met is all good or all bad. We are a mixture of emotions, reactions and opinions. . .both good and bad… or maybe that’s just the people in my family ;D but when I write a character, I actually picture a person I know and then I embellish…and exaggerate…and imagine…even more.
7.      What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?
My latest is story is DEMON’S INK it’s about a demonic tattoo artist who comes to Portland, Oregon. Did you know that Portland is the 5th most tattooed city in the country? So, people will read about these tattoos and very easily visualize one they have seen on someone’s arm, back or chest.
The demon, Bartos Slinderman, brings his apprentice to town with him but Drake doesn’t want to be bad. He’s like any normal teenager and he falls in love with a girl, Scarlett, who brings out the best . . . and worst in him. Unfortunately, the worst in him is far worse than the worst of any “normal teenager”.
8.      What are you working on now?
Currently, I’m working on a story about love and lose…but mixed together with a bunch of humor because that’s the way life is. It’s never a steady course…not unless you’re a captain on a boat.
9.      How can people find you?

Join me on Twitter or stop by Pinterest and see what I'm pinning and, if you've read Demon's Ink and/or The Viking Princess and have a question or simply want to share a comment, please feel free to send me an email. I love connecting with readers.

Until then you can find me by holding down your control key and clicking on the icons below:

http://kimbrakasch.com/images/email.jpghttp://kimbrakasch.com/images/pinterest.jpghttp://kimbrakasch.com/images/twitter.jpg 
And, if you’re not into icons, simply follow these links to read more about my book:
 AMAZON, NOOK, iBook, and Kobo
Or connect with me here:
 Goodreads
Amazon Author Page

Facebook

No comments: