Monday, April 1, 2013

Meandering on Monday with Janet Lane Walters #amwriting


Thinking about series. My writing friend Karen Wiesner has a book coming out called Writing The Fiction Series. http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/kswiesner/nonfiction2.html This site gives a bit about the series. I haven't read it yet, but I will since I've fallen into writing a series or two. Some of my series were planned to be just that and some like mold just grew. My Affinities series began as a single book or so I thought but as I was writing out the book's synopsis I realized the story had grown to epic proportions. Book Synopsis for me are usually 8 to 10 pages. This one ended up at close to fifty. The Seduction series was to be four books with the 4 editors of the magazines. Then my publisher put the first 3 books into a paperbacl book leaving one of the family alone so I set out to plan two more books using characters who had appeared in other books. I still have one of these stories to write and will soon begin. I've had other series that fizzled. The Opposition Series ended up with only three books when I'd first designed 12 books but I got bored with the series. Will I ever come back to them. I suppose I will. I've started a new series that I intend to finish and the stories will be only novella length or short novels.

How about you? Do you write in series? Does some character in a story demand their own view in the spotlight?

As to my writing. Am moving closer to the end of moonchild 1 and getting ready to do a draft of what is now turned into 2 books since one would be too long. What I'm doins is making words as my granddaughter used to say. Looking at characters and seeing what makes them tick and moving them through their paces.

I am also trying to figure how to write a tongue in cheek piece about It was a thing that bothers me a great deal. Just decided never to buy one author because of the number of times on the first page I saw it was or it had or just it.

No comments: