Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday's How She Does It with Paloma Beck





We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this>

Interesting. The first four elements "Who, What, When, Where" weave together to answer "Why". Your motivation comes from you characters and everything that shapes them. The "How" most definitely points to the plot, or that journey you take your characters through, which ultimately relies on the "Why".



.

1. How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?

My writing is character-driven. More often than not, my characters come to me with their stories. Sometimes I tinker with details to help them compliment their mate/ partner because I think a love story is more about how the two fit than their separate personalities. As a reader, I have to love the couple so as a writer, I strive for a lovable couple.



2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?

Characters always come first. Once I have their basic story down, I lay out a skeletal plot. Ultimately though, I let the character lead me to the conclusion.



3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?

I have a general idea how the story will end but sometimes I'm even surprised by the road my characters take. When we are in disagreement, I find the easiest choice is to keep writing what they want.



4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?

I often use settings I'm familiar with. I take detailed notes when I describe a location, particularly a character's home. Often though, the settings are like pictures in my mind. If I close my eyes, I can see the scene in front of me.



5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?

Most of my research is done on-line though I've read plenty that has padded my basic understanding of much of the topics I write on. For example, I studied European history in college so incorporating the Italian War into one of my series took just a quick search on details. In Hold My Hand, it made sense for my heroine to work in a coffee bar because I am a caffeine-addict and can tell you the ingredients of any drink Starbucks makes.



6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?

I revise as I go along. My first draft takes me longer but the edits are not so overwhelming because I've done so much clean up along the way. I've heard other authors preach to new authors not to do it this way but it works for me. If it works for you, I say do it. Heck, pretty much the motto of my life!







2 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

*waves at Paloma*
It's wonderful to see you. I like that your characters are like mine... they lead the stories. After all, it's the characters we fall in love with!

Unknown said...

Melissa - I can almost tell when an author writes this way. I tend to gravitate to their stories. (loved yours)