Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday's How She Does It featuring K. T. Montgomery


1. How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific process?




I think the story idea develops first for me and the characters seem to write themselves right into the story. I think they are probably a part of my subconscious and as the plot develops and fleshes out, they push into my consciousness and then flow down my arms virtually painting themselves on the computer screen. I do feel that they take over my writing once they appear…LOL!





2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?



I think my characters develop as part of the plot. I have an overall sense of the story and the characters needed to drive the story forward come into being. When I begin to sketch out the scenes the right character seems to visualize at that point. I think I have a pretty good sense of the character traits when I plot the story. My challenge is in “packaging” them into rich, multi-layered, believable, not idealistic, characters.



3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?



I don’t have a specific ending when I start my stories, but I do have a general sense of where I want the tale to conclude and where I want the characters to be both emotionally and plot-wise. Since I am writing a series, “The Katie Walsh Mysteries,” where the same characters will factor into each novel, I have the luxury/challenge of not tying everything up with in a neat bow. I intend to have my characters grow and enrich as the series progresses. As I said previously, my characters are human, filled with human failings and hopes. They will face challenges which will force them to either change or regress.



4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?



My series takes place primarily in the British Isles, beginning with the enchanting and haunting Isle of Skye. The following stories will focus in this area and the western coast of England and Wales. Since my characters are searching for ancient sites, much of the stories will take place out of doors. I have never been to Europe, but I must confess that I have always been drawn to Skye as it is my ancestral home. I think that if I ever visit there I shall never want to return to the US as I will finally realize the Skye is my home.





5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?



I do immediate, quick research on-line, but I rely on books for more in-depth research. The internet is a great place for information, but it can quickly pull you down the “rabbit hole.”





6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?



I’m a revise as I go along type person. Sometimes I don’t write for days because something about what I’ve written isn’t sitting right with me. During this time, I am working on the story, running different scenarios through my mind. When I head back to the keyboard I generally discover that I revise/rewrite at least one chapter. Without doing this, I can’t move forward, regardless of the fact that I know the overall story.



2 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to revise as I go. I have to go back and recheck what I just completed before moving forward.

Melissa

KJ said...

Hi Melissa,

I find the review/revision avital step in my writing.

Cheers!

KJ