Friday, May 8, 2020

Friday Linda O Connor is Visiting and Talking about Panster or Plotter.#MFRWAuthor #Writing #Panster #Plotter


Panster or Plotter

Day 1

1. Are you a panster or a plotter or perhaps a bit of both?
I tend to plot out the first four chapters – and have the idea for the main conflict and the ending sorted out – and then I let the story unfold as I write. Usually as I’m nearing the end of the story, I start plotting more carefully again so that I tie up all the loose ends.

2. Which comes first - characters or plot for you?
I’ve written stories both ways. Sometimes I have a great idea for a plot line, and then I dream up the characters who would add the most fun. Sometimes the characteristics of the hero and heroine are what drive the plot, so I start with that. For instance, in Don’t Forget the Dog, my latest release, I wanted Brogan to babysit a dog owned by the hero. I needed him to have a career where he would still be around but would necessitate Brogan looking after his dog – and decided to make him a chef during the busy time around Valentine’s Day. In Between the Pipes and Behind the Bench, the first 2 books of my hockey series, I wanted the heroines to be doctors. I made them partners in a family practice clinic and one of them works part-time as the team physician for the local professional hockey team. The other one gets reluctantly roped into helping out the team – and that led to the plot conflict since she despises hockey and lives in a hockey-crazy town.

3. What are you working on now? Is this a book in a current series or something totally new?
Right now I’m working on the fourth book of the Dr. Brogan Corkie Matchmaking Doctor series.
I originally had the idea for this storyline two years ago. I frequently see patients with infectious illnesses (understatement now) and advise them to stay home from school or work until they’re no longer contagious. It’s not easy for working parents to take time off to be with their little ones who are sick. It can also be difficult for someone living on their own to cope when they don’t feel well.

I thought caring for someone who is temporarily ill would make a great job for a retired doctor. They wouldn’t be daunted by the illness. That’s how Dr. Brogan Corkie’s character came to life. When I started writing the series, I ended up giving Brogan a hobby – she enjoys cooking and catering for people – and that became her second career. I “upgraded” her M.D. from Medical Doctor to Matchmaking Doctor. Brogan became the romantic catalyst – she brings couples together and then through good advice and a warm heart, she uses her cooking, medical – and matchmaking – skills to weave love and romance into their lives. And throughout the series, Brogan’s own heart gets tangled up in romance, too. ’Cause you know – medicine is a work of heart.


4. Do you have some kind of object or place that figures in most of your books? I use gems a lot, hospitals and caves.
I’m a physician so most of my characters are doctors. I like to weave the best parts of medicine into my stories and often that’s a big part of my promotion, too. I teach fact through fiction. :D

5. Do you write everyday or just when the spirit hits?
I try to write every day – it’s been a bit harder lately. I enjoy writing fun stories with witty dialogue– it’s as much an escape as reading for me.

6. Where can we find you?
I’m all over the net!


7. Who are your favorite authors? What about a book you’ve enjoyed?
My favourite authors are: Nora Roberts, David Rosenfelt, Marne Davis Kellogg, Graeme Simpson, Suzanne Brockman, Ruth Reichl.
I’m really enjoying reading David Rosenfelt’s Andy Carpenter series. They are well written, witty, and make me laugh – as well as having a great mystery!



2 comments:

Linda O'Connor said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, Janet! It's a pleasure to visit. :D

Janet Lane Walters said...

Linda, As a nurse and a writer, I always enjoy stories with a medical twist.