Friday, May 29, 2020

Friday, Joanie MacNeil is visiting and talking about Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #BWLAuthoe #Romance


What were you before you became an author? Did this influence your choices as a writer?

My career has always been in an office environment. I was a mature age student at university when my three children were born. Talk about doing things the hard way! After completing my degree, I worked part time, returning to full time when my youngest was three. My roles were as an Executive Assistant at a university and in government. For a while I worked as a Temp in a variety of office environments and enjoyed the change away from long-term office politics.

In a small way my career influenced my writing. No Boundaries and The Trouble with Natalie are set in office environments. 

Other elements in my life have filtered into my stories or characters including familiar locations, motherhood, travel, university, and people I’ve met during my years in the workforce.

2. Are you genre specific or general? I don’t mean major genres but subdivisions or romance, mystery or paranormal.

I write contemporary romance, a range of sweet to sexy stories, about new love and second chances.  I also write the occasional short romance story.

3. What is your latest release?

Mandraki Magic, a novella set on the Greek Island of Rhodes. Following a brief visit to this fascinating island I knew it was the right setting for the story I was working on. When I switched the location the magic flowed.

4. What are you working on now?

I’m enjoying working on one of my previous releases, A Traditional Affair. Following a visit to Scotland very early in my writing career I couldn’t resist writing a contemporary Scottish hero on my return home.

I’m also working on another earlier release, a short story set in Scotland.

5. Does your reading choices influence your choice of a writing career?

As a child I was an avid reader of adventure novels, including those written by Enid Blyton. My favorite series was The Famous Five. Later on I devoured Agatha Christie novels. Years later I began reading historical romances. I loved the romance, suspense and adventure, the pure escapism into another era, into the lives of the characters. The romance element influenced me in my decision to write romance. I settled on writing contemporary romance and switched to reading more contemporary stories.

Some years ago I had an idea for a time-travel story, but haven’t developed it any further. Writing contemporary romance remains my favorite.

Now I don’t read as much as I’d like to, but still enjoy a good romance, mystery/suspense stories, and Icelandic Noir. I downloaded a few books prior to visiting Iceland late in 2017. I enjoy reading novels set in areas I’ve visited.

6. Where can we find you?


No comments: