Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Wednesday Murder and Mint Tea On Sale #MFRWHooks #BWLAuthor #Mystery #On sale #mint tea

Murder and Mint Tea (Mrs. Miller Mysteries Book 1) by [Lane Walters, Janet]
Join the writers at #MFRWHooks here  http://mfrwbookhooks.blogspot.com  for some great and tempting reads. My book is on sale at present and is the first of the Mint Tea murders

Blurb:
Katherine is a retired nurse and a retired church organist. The small Hudson River village where she lives in her Victorian “Painted Lady” makes her the neighborhood matriarch. Along with her Maine Coon Cat Robespierre, she guards friends and families.

When amoral Rachel moves into the first floor apartment of Katherine’s house, trouble erupts. The murder weapon is one she recognizes and makes her fear for her friends and family. Finding the killer becomes her goal.

Editorial Review
Murder and Mint Tea is a gem in its genre, combining the voice of a classic American whodunit with that of a traditional British detective novel. Murder She Wrote meets Miss Marple in a beautifully crafted tale that makes the reader want to reach into the pages and dispense justice to the villainess themselves. ~ Writer Gail Roughton

2019 Book Hooks


EXCERPT:
The pale winter sun shone through the kitchen window.  I cleaned up the last of the mess from my adventure.  The caper hadn’t gone as planned.  How many do?  In my many years of life, most of my plans have taken an unexpected turn.
Merup.”  Robespierre my Maine Coon cat announced a visitor on the way.  He’s almost as good as a doorbell.  The firm rap on the door told me this wasn’t one of my female friends.  “Come in.”
Pete Duggan strode across the room and thrust a bouquet of bright carnations into my hands.  A red hue, almost as vivid as his hair, stained his face.  “Mrs. Miller, got to hand it to you.  I’ve come to eat crow.”
To hide a smile I buried my face in the flowers and inhaled the spicy fragrance.  “How about chocolate chip cookies and mint tea instead?”
“Sounds great.”  He straddled one of the chairs at the table and picked up the local newspaper.  “Local Woman Thwarts Robbers.”  His grin made him look like the ten-year-old who had moved into the corner house on my block.  He cleared his throat.  “The guys at the station ribbed me about this.  Did you forget the plan?”
     How, when the idea to catch the real thieves had been mine?  A series of burglaries had plagued the neighborhood for months and had troubled me.  Especially when the police had decided two teenage neighbor boys were the culprits.  I knew the pair and had disagreed strongly enough to set myself up as a victim.  Then I informed Pete.
     “Did you forget?”  he repeated.  “When I crept up the stairs and saw you grappling with one of the men, I nearly had a heart attack.”
     Heat singed my cheeks.  “How was I to know my date would poop out early?”
     After filling two mugs with mint tea I opened a tin of freshly baked cookies.  How could I admit to a nagging doubt, or tell him I had wanted to be part of the action?  In July I had turned sixty-five and in September retired from the nursing staff at Tappan Zee Memorial Hospital.  Six months of placid existence had made me edgy.  Lunch with friends, coffee with the neighbors and weekly bridge games with old cronies bored me.  These events held none of the challenge of meeting crises at the hospital.
     Pete scowled.  “You could have gone to the Prescotts’ house.”
     “They’re away.”  I sipped the tea and savored the cool mint flavor.
     “The Randals’ them.”  He pulled the other mug across the table.  “The guys insist the two of us make one perfect cop.  Want to hire on?”
     “I’ve no desire for a third career.”  Until my husband’s death twenty-five years ago I had been the organist and choir director at St. Stephens Episcopal Church.  Needing a way to support myself and my son, I enrolled in the nursing program at the community college.  “Besides, I’m too old.”
     “Old, never.  You look the same as when we moved here.”
     “It’s the dye.”  His puzzled look tickled me.  Dyeing my hair makes me look younger.  “I came into the world with red hair and I intend to leave the same way.”
     Laughter rumbled deep in his chest.  “A worthy ambition you nearly fulfilled last night.”  He touched my hand.  “Thanks again.  You kept me from making a mistake that could have ruined those boys.”

     I lifted my mug and inhaled the aromatic steam.  The evidence against the pair had been circumstantial and strong.  They had done odd jobs at all the houses that had been burglarized.  “I’ve known them since they were infants.  Nothing I’ve ever seen in their actions to make me believe they were guilty.”



My Places

Buy Mark

9 comments:

Holly Bargo said...

Nice to see an older ... er ... mature heroine who isn't doddering, but sharp and strong-willed.

Personalized Marketing Inc said...

Love this!!! “I came into the world with red hair and I intend to leave the same way.”

All #MFRWhooks have been shared on https://www.facebook.com/Excerpts.and.Promotions/

Kris Bock said...

I have a Maine Coon in my work in progress too! And now I want chocolate chip cookies.

Daryl Devoré said...

I came into this world with red hair and I intend to go out the the same way - that's not quoting your story - that's a fact of life - actually I am off to my appt in a moment.
Great snippet.

Janice Seagraves said...

I used to have a half Maine Coon named Pookey. She lived to the age of eighteen. Miss her.

Good luck with your book. I wish you many sales.

Janice~

Anonymous said...

My interest really perked up when I read about the heroine's age. That recast everything in a new light.

Kayelle Allen said...

How nice to find a person with an open mind for them.

Tena Stetler said...

Wow cute cover and story concept. Enjoyed the excerpt and blurb! I love a good mystery. Have to check out your book.

BeverleyB said...

I enjoyed the excerpt and particularly an older, smart female heroine