Friday, January 3, 2020

Friday Reed Stirling Visiting Talking about Who He Was Before #BWLAuthor #MFRWAuthor #English Literature #Professor


1.      Before retiring and taking up writing fiction as a past time, I taught English Literature. Several talented students of mine have gone on to become successful writers.
Did teaching influence my choices as a writer? Absolutely.
When you introduce young minds to the great works of great artists, (e.g., Hamlet, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Portrait of the Artist As A young Man, Gulliver’s Travels, The Handmaid’s Tale), you are constantly challenging yourself to get it right, to understand not only who, what, and when, but also how, and to elucidate on these considerations as discussion ensues. In your own writing, you want to emulate, difficult though it is to do so, but you have to try.

2.      Genres: I lean towards mystery, with romantic entanglement an integral part of the action. Greek mythology and literary allusion underpin plot development. Irony is pervasive. 

3.      Latest release: Shades Of Persephone is my first full-length novel, published with BWL in September 2019, although seventeen excerpts from this work have appeared previously in a variety of publications, in both hard copy and online.

4.      At present I am doing a final revision of Lighting The Lamp, a full-length novel due to be published in 2020 by BWL. Sixteen selections from this work have been published independently, the latest being “Glorious Disorder” in Humanist Perspective (Fall 2019).
Concurrently, I am working on a first draft of a work tentatively titled Séjour Saint-Louis, where the troubles in a contemporary family mirror those of the tragic poet Émile Nelligan.

5.      Does my reading influence my writing? Absolutely.
Lawrence Durrell’s The Alexandrian Quartet provided the impetus for Shades Of Persephone. John Fowles’ The Magus gave me the Greek setting.
Joyce’s Portrait inspired more than one scene in Lighting The Lamp, as did the philosophical musing of Percy Bysshe Shelley. Marcel Proust plays a part here as well.
The poems of Émile Nelligan are working thematically into Séjour Saint-Louis.
The muse visits me when I read the novels of John Banville and Ian McEwan.

6.      Find me at the following:
reedstirling@gmail.com
My website: reedstirlingwrites.com
Books We Love Publishing, Inc.
Amazon, Goodreads, Smashwords


No comments: