Friday, December 22, 2017

Friday's Guest - Christina Lambert - Who She Was Before #MFRWAuthor #Writing #Reading

1.     What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?
I didn’t study creative writing in college (except for one elective class of short story fiction writing). Instead I studied psychology and ended up with an MBA. I enjoyed writing for fun, mostly poetry, but I forced any writing ideas other than training manuals and such to the back of my mind, telling myself that it wasn’t important. Before I had the crazy idea to write a book, from start to finish, I worked in a few different fields. I worked in sales, I worked with adults with special needs, and then, when my children were small I worked as a personal trainer and running coach. When it was time to think about getting my career back on track I honestly couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I started writing a story when I was supposed to be studying for a fitness training certification. Finally, I gave in and acknowledged that writing was what I was meant to do.

2.     Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above. 

I started out writing a science fiction novel. After I was about thirty pages in, I saw a teaser on Facebook for a romance novel by Kele Moon and thought, “I want to write romance. I want to write about love”. Because with the idea of love, there is hope. and hope is what carries us through one day and into the next. I enjoy writing steamy paranormal romance because I like bending reality in my writing. I thought at first that I would stick with only paranormal but when I got an idea for a suspense series, I decided to follow up on that thought. What I realized is that I can still bend reality to create an element of strange on the pages even when the story I’m writing is not outright science fiction or paranormal.

3.     Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres? 
My love of science fiction led me to read paranormal romance. I am fascinated by the different and unique world created by different writers and the problems characters encounter in these weird worlds. Some of my favorite books also spent a lot of time on the characters rather than just focusing on the ongoing events. Creating strong, memorable characters is something I strive to do in everything I write. I want my characters to be just as important as the situations in which they find themselves.

4. What's your latest release? 
Bear’s Edge was released in September 2017. It is the second book in the Stranger Creatures series, though each book in the series features a different couple struggling to find their happily-ever-after. In Bear’s Edge, Shifter bear Grant had been crushing on his boss, Shayla since the day they met. When the attraction no longer seems so one-sided, Grant must decide whether to walk away or risk his job and his barely healed heart to convince Shayla to take a chance on him.

5. What are you working on now? 
I’m working on the next book in the Stranger Creatures series as well as the first book in a romantic suspense series. The romantic suspense series will involve some tough on the outside but sweet on the inside firefighters. I have ideas for so many different stories- science fiction, horror, romance, but there’s only so much time in the day.

6. Where can we find you? 
I’m on social media and I have a Wordpress blog too. Feel free find me at one of the sites below.


No comments: