Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday's Inspiration - Would You Write If...

I'm going to paraphrase a quote found in On Becoming A Novelist. Comes from a basketball player not named but I thought it was a great inspiration.

"If being a writer were illegal, I'd be in prison for life." Kind of hit me between the eyes. But I think it's something to remember. In some ways writing, at least for me, is something I have to do. My day feels incomplete on the days I'm not writing. Taking a trip that lasts more than a few days making it impossible to write seems like a no fun time.

How about you? Has the desire to write clamped it's claws into you and suddenly you know you must put words on paper every day? I just finished participating in a writing challenge and that was to write 30,000 new words during the month of February. I really don't need the challenge but joined the group to help encourage other people who are bitten by the bug. Not everyone succeeded but some of them wrote more during that time than they usually do.

So I look at my paraphrased quote and know I don't write for money or fame. Those things are nice but I write because I must. How about you?

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I don't know if I write because I must, but all those ideas in my head are screaming at me. lol

Melissa Keir said...

I love to write but it's something I push off, sadly! The voices in my head have such great stories and I have to tell them, or write poetry, or write lists and lists... I just write!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

If writing was illegal I'd be a plumber. It would be the perfect excuse not to put myself through the daily torture.