Monday, March 3, 2014

Meandering on Monday with Janet Lane Walters


Meander 1 - This is about cats and people. I really like cats but my reasons aren't those of others. Inside every pet cat is that nature of the larger ones like lions and tigers. At critique the other night, people were aghast because I commented that people were more worried about a cat being mistreated than a person. Didn't make sense to me. Even pet cats have claws and needle sharp teeth and if threatened they will defend themselves. Unless someone has declawed them. Then they are less liable to defend themselves but cats are quick and agile. The cat was locked in a room in the basement of a Regency era house. These houses often had mice and even rats. The cat wouldn't starve. Another thing about cats is their acute hearing. If they heard someone come to open the door, they would bolt out faster than anything you would believe. So my friends, remember cats are wild beneath their surface. I imagine the man who first trapped the cat bore scratches and hopefully developed "cat scratch fever." I love to watch cats as they stalk their prey, even if the prey is a string or a toy you pull so they can attack it. Every pet cat has a tiger inside.

Meander 2 - Went to a sort of reunion yesterday afternoon. Actually it was a reception St Tommy Q where I received a BA in English. Met some interesting people. Promoted myself a lot and hopefully made some people at least curious. Now I know I graduated in1978. The college has grown from those long ago years when I treked over the mountain. Met an interesting man who makes swords. Now if I need any research on swords, I can email him for answers. Always good to find resources, especially if you write fantasy.

Meander 3 - Writing is going well and I'm pushing hard to finish Melodic Dreams. On the draft to smooth things and to make sure I have the settings, actions and reactions of the characters down cold. I haven't reached the point where I can't stand the story. That always tells me when I'm done. People laugh when I say "If I read through this one more time I'm going to vomit." That's the truth and I know it's time to put the story aside and start something new.

1 comment:

Charmaine Gordon said...

Sorry I missed the cat hoo-ha. We have cats. Yes it's fascinating to watch them stalk. One cat caught a mouse-snatched it so fast and snapped the neck in an instant. We often comment on the big cats they came from, fore-bearers of the house cat.
I sent you an email saying I planned to be at critique. Communication is what it's all about.