Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday's How She Does It featuring Angel de Amor



We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this>  

 

I agree with this concept.  The first five does lead to the “How.”  The plot is the most important piece of a book.  It have to be centered on a conflict and a solution. 

 

 

 1. How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?  I have a weird method on how I create my characters. I normally sit at the park with my dog and watch people mannerism.  I observe their posture, facial expressions, hair color and height and if that method doesn’t work for me. I would think about people in my life and take something from each person and create a character.

 

2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end? My characters usually come before the plot.  I always like to introduce my character in the beginning and then create the plot.  I don’t sketch out my plot, I let my characters develop the route to the end.  I’m more of a freelance writer.

 

3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?  No, I never know how my story will end.  The ending comes to me as I write the book and see what direction my characters are taking me.  I let them tell their own story and I try not to predict an ending, it just flows.

 

4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around? I usually choose settings I have visited.  This way I can get a vivid image of the place and make it seem as real as possible in the book.  I want the readers to feel they are right in the setting.

 

5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books? Most of my research come from on line and discussions with random people.

 

6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?  I revise as I go along.  I’ve tried to draft out a storyline and ended up going a total different route once I started writing it.  It’s just better for me to freestyle.

1 comment:

Melissa Keir said...

I like your idea about going to the park. I might have to try it!