Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tuesday's Inspiration - Muse or Not

Reading through an old Writer's Handbook I came upon a short piece by Sidney Sheldon. One part caught my attention. The importance of having a schedule and to sit down and write even if the muse was absent. This calls for organization and setting a certain time to write. This led me to thoughts of the "Muse." I think I'm a writer without one. The story ideas come and I sit down to write. There is no creature on my shoulder telling me what to put down on the paper. I write even on those days when I would rather not.

I do wish I could understand what role a muse played in a writer's career. Waiting for some inspiration and writing only when this inspiration is hot wouldn't get much writing done. I've found at times forcing myself to face a segment in a story when I don't feel like writing brings some very good segments.

Yesterday, I began typing in the first chapter of a story and suddenly I realized it was, not all wrong but that the story had begun in the wrong place for the kind of story I intended to tell. Not all of the chapter is lost work, some pieces will be saved and worked into the new beginning. The point here is that I didn't wait to be inspired by a mythical muse but by my knowledge of the characters and the way the story should be told. I also know if I wait for a Muse, I'd never get any writing done.

What about you? Do you write every day or sit and wait for the "Muse" to tap you on the shoulder?

3 comments:

John Klawitter said...

perhaps, ecl, you do not understand. The muse has convinced you to sit in the first place. Otherwise you would drift out into the kitchen for a cup of coffee and to watch the morning TV blather. You don't have a muse. The muse has you.
best,
j.

Janet Lane Walters said...

Sorry about my doubts. I just apply my seat to the desk and write. I am inspired by other writers, though.

Charmaine Gordon said...

As writer of many books, you know the work ethic is all about, Janet. I admire your perseverance and talent. Never waiting for a muse myself, I'm there at the laptop and the story unfolds.Thanks for another delightful post