Friday, October 28, 2022

Friday E. R, Yatscoff is visiting and talking about Characters #BWLAuthor #Heroes #heroines #villains

 

Day 1 Characters

 

2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write?

My characters are confronted with something they’ve never dealt with before. It’s the same in my MG and YA stories where my unassuming protagonists must step up big time to solve their dilemma. They discover they have the hearts of lions in them.

 

3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

I suppose my protagonists are reluctant heroes thrown into situations, their world turned upside down. Most are from real life, created around people I’ve known at some point in my life. They are imbedded in my head before the story is written.

 

4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

  Your favorite book?

The only thing close to heroines are the women in FIRE DREAM and MAN ON FIRE. One is a news reporter and the other is a dogged fore investigator. Both drive the stalwart firefighter character crazy. They were vital to the story and created almost simultaneously as the protagonist was. The female fire investigator steered a lot of the story.  As for my favorite book, I think it’s FIRE DREAM

 

5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

Two protagonists in SERVICES RENDERED are almost villians. They color outside the lines when it comes to vengeance for their clients. Their only saving grace is that they aren’t afraid of gangbangers, who are quite a bit worse. In TEETH OF THE COCODRILO I have a Mexican criminal and sicario (assassin) and a high ranking police commandant who is in a gray area.

 

6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

My latest release is SERVICES RENDERED. The big hero at the end is an indigenous man who pulls them out of danger. My two sort of heroes are occasionally devils and sometimes angels. They really turn into devils when their families are threatened by gangbangers (villians) and they must react—fight fire with fire.

7. What are you working on now?

THE NIKE BIRDS: It’s almost ready for Beta readers. My small publisher only wanted my firefighter series so I’m going all out to get a big publisher.

Two university students, Canadian Lucas Horne and the rich and beautiful Colombian Avalina Vargas, meet on a jungle trek to Colombia’s Lost City where they find a strong attraction for each other. Their subsequent abduction finds them as prisoners in a remote jungle camp and sets in motion a country-wide manhunt.

 

8. How can people find you?  My website is YatscoffBooks.com which has  links to all my novels. My email is TGRbooks@shaw.ca.          FB page is  E.R. Yatscoff author

 

9. Who are your favorite authors?   Dan Fesperman    Linwood Barclay (beat me out for a Crime Writers of Canada award)   Carmen Amato (Acapulco detective Emilia Cruz)

 

Day Two

No comments: