Thursday, September 16, 2010

Interview with Tracey Kitts

Tracey and I share one publisher and she's been kind enough to allow me to post some excerpts on her group.


1. What's your genre or do you write in more than one?

I write paranormal, sci-fi, and fantasy romance. Usually my books are a combination of all of the above.

2. Did you choose your genre or did it choose you?

A little of both. I write what I enjoy reading. I honestly don't know if I could write anything "normal" if I tried. lol

3. Is there any genre you'd like to try? Or is there one you wouldn't?

Hmm. Good question. I wouldn't want to write historical for sure. Although I enjoy reading them, I couldn't begin to imagine the work that goes into a historical. To me it's above and beyond what I have time for. Hats off for those who specialize in historical romance.

4. What fiction do you read for pleasure?

It all depends on what mood I'm in. Most of the time I end up reading YA novels.

5. Tell me a bit about yourself and how long you've been writing.

I'm never sure how to answer about myself. It's not that I'm complicated, I'm just odd. Ha. Ha. I've been writing for my own entertainment since I could pick up a pencil. But I wrote my first novel in 2007. It was Red, book one in my Lilith Mercury series. I've been published for three years.

6. Which of your characters is your favorite?

The one I'm working on at the time usually. I love good guys who are just a little bit bad too. I like flaws. One of my all-time favorites would have to be Nicholas from Bitten. He fits the description quite well.

7. Are there villains in your books and how were they created?

I've always said that a story is only as good as its villain. So, there usually is one in my books. Honestly, they're the most fun to create. My villains don't come about as a result of my dark side or anything like that. But they do occasionally channel my frustrations. I think everybody does that sometimes.

8. What are you working on now?

Right now I'm working on a paranormal romance called The Invitation and having such a blast. I just wrote what was supposed to be the bad guy into the story, but I like him too much to make him evil. *smiles*

9. What's your latest release and how did the idea arrive?

My latest release is called Sex Symbol and will be available October 6th from Ellora's Cave. The idea came to me when I realized how interesting it would be to have a werewolf move in next door.

10. Tell me about your latest book and how it came about. Enclose the opening of the book around 400 words.

I've always loved the story of Beauty and the Beast. This plays off that idea just a little bit.


My next door neighbor was the hottest thing on two legs. No, really. You should see him. There is no way to accurately describe a man like this, but I can give you the basics. He’s around six foot four with short, shaggy brown hair and a body that could cause heart failure. I didn’t know anything about him except the way watching him each morning made me feel.

Our small, sleepy little community was what I’d always categorized as “dead”. That is, until three weeks ago when he moved into town. The house next door to me had been vacant for two years. No one was murdered there or anything sensational. The real estate market was poor and no one had been interested. Most people didn’t want to live in the middle of nowhere. There were two kinds of people here—the kind who were born here and the kind looking to escape from something somewhere else. I was born here.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks so much for having me:)

Tracey

2 comments:

Jennifer Probst said...

HI Janet, Good interview. I love your voice Tracey - the excerpt was so well written. Thanks for sharing!

Shoshanna Evers said...

Hi Tracey! Great interview, good to see you here :)