Friday, July 23, 2021

Joanie MacNeil is visiting and talking about her latest release #BWLAuthor #MFRWAuthor #Romance #Scotland #Honorable Men series

 

1. Tell me about your latest release? Genre?

 

My latest release, A Sense of Duty, is a contemporary romance and the second book in the Honorable Men series. The story is set in Braemar, Scotland. I think readers will relate to this tale of mending damaged hearts and healing from past hurts.

 

 

2. Where did the idea arise?

 

Many years ago I visited Braemar briefly as part of a tour of Scotland. I returned the next year and stayed overnight in a lovely old cottage converted to a Bed and Breakfast, an ideal location around which to set a story. And I couldn’t resist writing a contemporary Scottish hero.

 

As for the scenery, traveling over snowy mountain roads into Braemar was a new and exciting experience for someone who isn’t used to snowy weather.

 

Later that year, already thinking about setting my story in the town, an unexpected opportunity arose to revisit. I decided to take advantage and refresh my memories. I based Lindsay House loosely on the two-storey B&B. Though I was disappointed that accommodation was unavailable, I was fortunate to book a room at the Fife Arms for a few days. The hotel also features in my story.

 

3. How much research was involved? Did you stay on point or be distracted by wanting to look at just one more thing?

 

I’ve visited all the places mentioned in the story, and soaked up as much as I could. I took notes on the surroundings to bring the setting to life. I wrote the story when the location was fresh in my mind. As a tourist, I particularly enjoyed visiting both Blair Castle and Braemar Castle. Each has its own style and were built for different reasons. Braemar Castle was within walking distance, and I enjoyed a day trip by coach to Blair Castle. No doubt some things have changed since I visited the area all those years ago.

 

The one more thing I didn’t do: I was curious about the duck pond, tucked away on the edge of town, and decided to take a walk and check it out. The pond seemed close enough on the map, but the afternoon was drawing to a close, and I’d had enough adventuring for the day. I changed my mind and went back to the hotel, leaving Braemar the following day. I was happy with all the information I’d collected.

 

 

4. How long did you take to write the book?

 

As I wrote the book many years ago, I can only guess at how long it took to write. Maybe around 12 months, more or less. I’ve re-polished the current edition, though didn’t change the essence of the book at all.

 

 

5. Now a bit about you. How long have you been writing? What is your Sun Sign?

 

I began writing in the mid-1990s. My first book was epublished on a floppy disc early in 1999, when epublishing was a fledgling industry. Look how far it’s come! I had more books published in the following years, but lost my way with my writing career for about ten years, though never wanted to let it go. Must have been my stubborn streak. I’d always anticipated I’d be back. In August 2014, Books We Love published two of my previously published novels, No Boundaries and December Heat Wave. My most recent novels, A Sense of Duty and A Traditional Affair are the last of my earlier novels now published by BWLPublishing Inc. https://bookswelove.net/macneil-joanie/

 

 

I’m looking forward to working on two brand new stories for publication next year.

 

My Sun Sign is Cancer. My birthday is 22 July, so depending on which horoscope I read, I may be a Leo. I usually read both, out of curiosity. There are occasions when one rings more true than the other…or not at all. I did read my horoscope years ago after a major upheaval in my life. I couldn’t believe how much it related to me.

 

 

6. Do you write in a number of genres or stick to one?

 

Contemporary romance is my favorite. Many years ago, I considered writing a time travel. I can’t see that happening for a while, though the interest remains, and I still have my rough notes…somewhere safe.

 

 

7. Where on the internet can you be found?

 

www.joaniemacneil.com

https://www.facebook.com/romanceauthorjoaniemacneil/

https://www.instagram.com/joanie_macneil_romance_author/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/joaniemacneil/romance-author-joanie-macneil/

https://twitter.com/JoanieMacneil

 

 

1 comment:

Tricia McGill said...

Joanie is one of my favourite writers and I look forward to reading this book when time permits. Tricia