Friday, September 4, 2020

Friday Joanie MacNeil is visiting and talking about Genres #MFRWAuthor #BWLAuthor #Genres


1. Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms?

Oh, I wish my fingers would flow over the keyboard.  Contemporary romance is my genre, from sweet to sexy stories about new love and second chances, with a secret or two thrown in.

Does your reading choices reflect your writing choices?

No. While I read and write contemporary romance, my reading choices also include crime fiction, Icelandic Noir and historical romances. 


Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?

Sci-fi, paranormal, crime and historical fiction.


 2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write?

Either hero or heroine can be difficult to write, to get to know. Once I dig deeper, and they begin to develop, the writing of them becomes a little easier. So no, I don’t have a favorite.

I don’t usually write villains.  My first attempt at writing a villain received excellent feedback which surprised me.  I didn’t think had it in me to write such a nasty person.  As I revise the manuscript I’ll probably develop that character more. And may write more villains.


3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

Heroes come to me in various ways. Via pictures, imagination, a situation, either before the plot, and sometimes following a story idea. I must choose the right hero to fit my story. Some characters appear simultaneously with story ideas. Pinterest is a useful source for images and scenery. Visuals assist in opening up the character, picturing, almost hearing, them speak. Previously I’ve used magazines for inspiration for my characters to provide a little more insight. Amazing what a photo can reveal.


4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

Much the same as for the heroes. A visual allows me to tailor a character to how I want that character to be. And add more substance to that character.

Your favorite book?

I have a soft spot for the very first romance novel I read. The historical romance, My Gallant Enemy by Rexanne Becnel, swept me away into another world. The story gave me the escapism I craved at the time.

5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

My hero and heroine, I hope come across as respectful to each other, that they at least care for  each other before the relationship develops further.

The villain I mentioned previously isn’t the hero or heroine. I’ve given him traits so that the reader can understand him better, though they won’t like him, and don’t need to. He definitely wants to harm the heroine.

Perhaps that’s why I liked writing him so much….he’s the complete opposite of my usual more balanced characters.

A characters in my novella, Mandraki Magic, is also a villain. My heroine can’t decide whether she’ll give him a second chance, or not.


6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

My contemporary novel, A Traditional Affair, will be published in the near future. There’s no real villain in the story, which focuses on the two main characters who are from very different backgrounds. The heroine is Australian, and the hero a Scottish Laird.

7. What are you working on now?

I’m finalizing a short story, Dream a Little Dream, and my novel, A Traditional Affair, forpublication.

8. How can people find you?


 9. Who are your favorite authors?

Historical: Elizabeth Chadwick and Barbara Erskine
Crime Fiction: Joan Hall Hovey
Icelandic Noir:  Ragnar Jónasson


No comments: