Monday, March 9, 2009

EPICON 2009 Part One

Was going to post this later but was informed my granddaughter age 5 will be spending the evening and she believes when she is here I am hers. So now to begin.

March 5 at 5 AM. I am not a morning person but I arise before the sun to leave for the shuttle to Newark with my carry-on bag and the monster purse I bought to carry stuff. No problem on the shuttle but I know it is coming. The dreaded security check. I have two titanium knees. I set of bells and whistles.
I arrive at the airport and get into the long line checking in. Amazes me how many people are fleeing the east coast, hopefully all for warmer climes. It was 17 degrees out and I was wearing my spring coat since warmer weather was promised for the return. I approach the gate, having shed my shoes and all my other stuff. "I'm going to set off the alarms," I said.
"Step ahead." The alarms go off. "Step in there. Someone will arrive to check you." I wait fifteen minutes. The guard smiles. "A woman must check you."
MY mind begins to click. Why a woman? I am old and the wand never touches your body. Perhaps my knees aren't titanium and are really a device to cause trouble. That is a dumb idea. I have no thoughts of self-destruction.
A second thought appears. Perhaps these young men who check you in are afraid of their own impulses. Or have they heard I occasionally write very spicy love-scenes and are afraid I will attact them. Finally a woman arrives and in all of two minutes I am ready to go to the waiting area.
Here, I find a chair. Every three minutes, the following announcement is heard.
So I clutch my purse and keep my eyes on my carry-on. I watch for my roommate who is meeting me at the airport. She is late but does arrive in time for boarding. We did miss the opportunity of trading our tickets for a first class seat on the noon plane plus a 4oo dollar voucher. The plane takes off and somewhere in the heavens I lose three hours but I don't worry because they will be returned when I come back.
We arrive in Las Vegas. That airport is big and spreadout. We walk a mile past slot machines to get a tram that takes us to another part of the airport where we walk a mile to get to the outside. There we find a cab to take us to the resort. Do not ask the price. I thought taxis in New York City were pricey but I learned a new truth. Once we arrived at the resort, we settled in and went to find lunch. I'll tell more tomorrow.


Anonymous said...

LOL, didn't the resort have a shuttle for you? I'll look forward to lunch and onward tomorrow, this is fun. Jude

Kim Richards said...

Hi! It was really nice to meet you.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I had so much fun with you at Epicon--it was a great conference!

I had a blast too.