Friday, July 8, 2016

Friday - Heroes, Heroines and Villains with Betty Ann Harris

 One
1. Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms?

I write a few genres and a mixture of genres. The genres I enjoy writing are mystery, romantic suspense and romantic paranormal. 

Do your reading choices reflect your writing choices?

For the most part, I like reading the same genres I write with the exception of romantic suspense. I enjoy reading my suspense straight up! 

Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?

I don't think think I could write fantasy. I'm a bit of a realist. If I don't believe something is possible in reality, I don't spend much time thinking about it or writing it. If you've read my most recent novella, Possessing Prudence, then you would find out that I believe in ghosts.
2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write? 

Heroes, heroines and villains, oh my! I enjoy writing all three. When I first started writing, my main characters were sexy male special agents. But it was great fun to write about Ruby Stone, who in my book, Danger in Paradise, was my first beautiful female special agent. But villains are the most fun to write about. Although they may play a lesser role in the story, their presence is necessary for my plots to unfold.
3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

I tend to take the qualities I admire most from several fictional male characters and actors I like. I have to develop my main character in connection with the plot, and that for me is often the most difficult part of writing. As the story unfolds I get a clearer picture of who my hero is. 
4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

My last heroine, Prudence Trivit, was based on a beautiful young woman I know, at least in appearance. As far as her personality is concerned, Prudy is a mixture of several characters from TV shows I watch. One thing she is for sure is extremely intelligent. 
5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

You know, I don't really choose one. As my antagonists are developed, they kind of take on a life of their own, except for my last book, Possessing Prudence, for which I based my antagonist, Tina, on the actress Debi Mazar, who I'd seen playing the part of a smart allec antagonist in a movie years previously. I like an antagonist with a sharp edge.
6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

Possessing Prudence, my first paranormal romance, was my last release. The hero is Prudence Trivit, known as Prudy, who is the librarian and historical expert in the New England seaport town of Mystic Port. Prudy must step out of her comfort zone to solve a mystery involving her great Aunt Alexandra, who was the wife of the mayor of the town back in 1897. Prudy is the spitting image of her long-departed and beautiful great aunt, who was accused of murdering her husband after he became mayor. Going on clues and hunches from an old journal, a citrine necklace and a seance, Prudy tries to prove Alexandra's devotion to her husband and innocence in his murder. With the help of a handsome young journalist named Dylan Monroe, Prudy tries to solve the mystery. 
7. What are you working on now?

I'm working on my second book in the Protected Heart series titled Moonlight Cove. It's a romantic suspense thriller and the sequel to my first book in that series titled Eureka Point. I'm also working on the sister book toPossessing Prudence which is titled Lillian's Legacy.
8. How can people find you?

People can find me on Facebook: 

My blog:  

2 comments:

Ann Herrick said...

I've always been impressed with authors who can write mysteries!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Ann, Thanks for visiting.