Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday's How She Does It featuring Katya Armock


Free today on Amazon Kindle Healwoman       

1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 
 I don't have a specific method. Usually a character just starts talking in my head and everything grows from there. Sometimes I will have a dream about a character or the idea will develop as I'm drifting off to sleep or meditating.

2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?
 Definitely the characters drive the plot. I am a dyed in the wool pantser, although the more books I write, the better I get at at least creating a bullet point outline. I also keep a list of questions that I want to answer at some point in the story.
 
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
 It depends on the story. For my first novel, I thought I knew where it would end, and that scene ended up happening about 2/3rds through the final book. :) For my second novel I had no idea until I got there. For my current WIP I have a very specific ending in mind.

4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
 I do a mix of both. Although I'm more of an internet research kind of girl than a nonfiction book kind of girl. I love Google Earth where I can zoom in on a setting I have in mind. I also spend time at tourist and chamber of commerce websites to learn about settings I'm less familiar with.

5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
 Online. Although sometimes I use books, especially if I'm looking for more historical or academic research.
 
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?
I tend to revise as I go along. I'll write maybe 30-60 pages, then go back to the beginning and revise and shape to better set up where I want to go next. I'll repeat this process over and over until I get to the end. Since I'm a pantser, I find this helps me keep the continuity of the narrative.

Katya Armock

To Hiss or to Kiss--steamy paranormal romance, Hidden Lines book 1
To Growl or to Groan--Hidden Lines book 2
              
                 


                                                                    

                                                  
                

3 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I always look forward to learning how other authors do it! I'm glad to see more pantsers out there like me!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I try to plot and it just keeps me from writing while I stare at my "outline" and daydream. :)

Janet Lane Walters said...

I'm a plotter and a punster combined. I always have a plan for the chapters or scene and then I sit down and just let the words flow but I need parameters to guide me.